"Get off." Sherlock's voice was muffled by the thick duvet.

"No."

"Ughhhhhhh."

"No."

Sherlock responded by rolling to the side, allowing John to slide sideways and into Sherlock, so they were face to face and a mere 5 inches away from each other. John stared at Sherlock's closed lids, before lifting his hand and tracing his face. Sherlock opened his eyes, lazily leaning in and pressing his lips to John's forehead softly.

"How was Human Biology?"

"Alright. How was chemistry?"

"Decent enough."

"Of course it was." John sighed, before tilting his head up and meeting Sherlock with a slow kiss. "How was talking to Mycroft?"

Sherlock sighed against John's mouth. "Way to kill the bloody mood. Dull. He's insisting on getting me employment in the government, I wonder how long he'll take to realise that's not exactly my area?"

"Too long if you ask me. Walk?"

"Gladly."

* * *

The pair sat on their bench under the dappled leaves of the oak tree. Strictly speaking, it wasn't "their" bench, but ever since John had scratched "Sherlock Holmes is a fucking idiot" on the side of the wooden arm after a particular spat involving Sherlock briefly and unexpectedly leaving John to return home to see his parents and leaving John in the dust, and him sitting there the following week to find "who fell in love with another fucking idiot, John Watson" after it, they more or less considered it theirs.

"I've finally decided what I want my profession to be." Sherlock announced, resting his head on John's shoulder. John snorted.

"Oh, I'm sorry, finally? Isn't that what you said on Wednesday, then on Monday, then Sunday, then Saturday--" 

"Yes, I did. And now I've finally decided what I want my profession to be." Interrupting John airily, Sherlock began tracing a circle on John's thumb with his own.

"Alright then," John sighed, "let's hear it."

"A navigator. Someone who sails the seas with no laws to abide and with an army of people who do his will."

"... A pirate?"

"A navigator."

"A pirate," John said firmly, and when Sherlock began to protest that it was indeed a navigator, he put his hand over Sherlock's mouth. "Sherlock Holmes, there is no way in hell you're becoming a pirate." He paused. "At least, not without me."

Grinning, Sherlock removed John's hand and instead laced his fingers with it. "We'd travel the oceans, you and I. I'd be the captain and you'd be my medic." 

John looked out across the lanes that circled in front of them, the wind picking up slightly and dragging the first fallen leaves across the grass. "Why don't you begin with something a bit less... maiming. What about a doctor?"

"Don't make me laugh. No, don't take that offence, you're perfect as a doctor. You care about everyone, no matter what stage they are in life, whereas I..."

"Don't?"

"Yep."

A comfortable silence stretched out between them, the laughter of students being heard from the park behind them through the hedges. "Why not govern the law instead of avoiding them?"