“Danger?” The man blinked. “No, not unless you—”

“I’ll bet you’re here about that crooked cop who they think is dead?”

He nodded. “Yes—”

“You don’t think he’s around here, do you?” Fabio continued to growl. Lacy’s heart continued to tremble. Whatever she did, she couldn’t let Zeke take control of the conversation. She’d learned as a child that her mother could see right through her untruths. Back then, she’d just assumed it was her mother’s maternal intuition and not that she sucked at lying.

“No. We’re just checking. Have you—”

“Should I evacuate? I’d hate to have to leave, but if I’m in danger, I would.”

“I’m sure you’re safe. But have you—”

“Have you seen anything that would make you believe I’m in danger? I mean, the area is usually so safe. My grandmother lived here for years. Ten years, to be exact. She gave me the house. I’ve been here for almost two years and I haven’t once been afraid. Well, except for that time that I heard noises in my attic. Turned out to be just a raccoon. Can you imagine, I’m all panicked and all it turned out to be was a raccoon? Have you ever dealt with raccoons?” She paused, told herself to breathe but couldn’t manage it.

The man shook his head, obviously annoyed at her constant chatter. “I was just checking to see if—”

“Do you think I should get some friends to come and stay with me?” she asked. ‘‘Not for the raccoons, but for any other danger. I have friends who could come—”

He held up his hand as if to silence her. “I—”

“I’m so happy you stopped by. I feel so much safer knowing the police are in the area. I think I’ll go call someone and see if they won’t mind coming to stay here with me for a few days.” She grabbed the door as if to close it. Not enough to make him suspicious, but enough to give him the idea of leaving. Her throat knotted.

“Why don’t you take my card in case you do see something?” He frowned at her. Fabio snapped at the man’s hand.

Lacy took the card. “Thank you.”

He backed up, scowling again at Fabio. “Are you sure you haven’t seen anything?”

Lacy swallowed, faced with the question, faced with having to lie. She considered what he might do if he discovered Chase hidden in her bedroom. If he’d tried to kill Chase once, he’d probably try again. He probably wouldn’t stop with just Chase.

She blinked, and decided that lying was too risky. She’d throw him a curveball. Heck, she’d just hit a home run without ever batting, so surely she could toss this no-good slime bucket a curveball. “You mean raccoons? I haven’t seen raccoons in over a year. But there were some squirrels hanging around.”

He stared at her as if considering finding her a straightjacket. Then he turned and left.

Lacy shut the door, set Fabio down and then slid down the wall until her butt hit the cold tile floor. Dropping her forehead onto her knees, she let out the breath she’d been holding since opening the door.

* * *

Zeke started back to his car. Damn woman was nuts. A freak. He opened his car door, got in, and shoved the keys into the ignition. Then he hesitated. “Was she really crazy, or was she hiding something?”

He jangled the keys, trying to think. She hadn’t let him inside. Every one of the other locals had invited him inside. Why hadn’t she? He gazed back at the house, and suspicion started knifing at his empty stomach.