chapter 3 - School Hard

Start from the beginning

"Compared to me?" Willow asked. "You actually are, Zoey."

Zoey smiled.

"It's not exactly fair," Alice told them. "Buffy's the Slayer. Brooke is a Guardian like me. Brady's a hunter. That requires a certain amount of cutting and fighting. What's Sheila's excuse?"

"Homework," Carmen answered. "She won't do it. And most teachers respect that now. Oh, you might wanna keep away any sharp implements when you're working with her."

"Do you think any other Slayers or Guardians ever had to go to high school?" Eric asked. "Or witches? Gypsies? Hunters?"

"It's no biggie," Xander told them. "You'll have a nice soire'e. The parents will love it. As long as nothing really bad happens between now and then, you'll be fine."

"Are you crazy?" Buffy asked. "What did you say that for? Now something bad is gonna happen."

"What do you mean?" Xander asked. "Nothing's gonna happen."

"Yeah," Willow told him. "Not until some dummy says, 'as long as nothing bad happens'."

"It's the ultimate jinx," Carmen told him. "Shame on you."

"What were you thinking?" Willow asked. "Or were you even thinking at all?"

The girls each gave Xander looks of exasperation, walking away.

Eric looked at Xander in amusement. "You should feel so ashamed."

"Well, you guys don't know," Brady told them. "Maybe this time it'll be different."

Night - Park

A classic 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashed through the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign, screeching to a halt.

The famous vampire named Spike got out, strolling over to the curb, taking a deep breath, lighting a cigarette. "Guess what, Wyatt? Home, sweet home."

∞ Slayers and Guardians ∞

Warehouse

Collin was talking to a group of vampires.

"The Master is dead," Vampire 1 told them. "Someone has to take his place."

"As long as the Slayer and Guardians are alive and having witches and gypsies and hunters helping them, whoever takes his place will be sharing his grave," Vampire 2 replied.

"Then let the soul who kills them wear his mantle," Vampire 1 suggested.

"Can you do it?" Collin asked.

Vampire 1 nodded. "Yes. This weekend, the night of St. Vigeous, our power shall be at its peak. When I kill them, it'll be the greatest even since the crucifixion. And I should know. I was there."

Spike walked in from behind them. "You were there?" He chuckled. "Oh, please! If every vampire who said he was at the crucifixion was actually there, it would have been like Woodstock."

"I oughta rip your throat out," Vampire 1 hissed.

Spike turned his back to him, strolling away. "I was actually at Woodstock. That was a weird gig. I fed off a flowerperson, and I spent the next six hours watching my hand move." Vampire 1 rushed him from behind. Spike swung his fist up without even looking, hitting him in the face, knocking him down and out. "So. Who do you kill for fun around here?"