Chapter 4: Peace Offering

The pads of your finger tips danced across the display. Following up on files from the previous days work. Furiously typing in an inner attempt to prove yourself. You had arrived a whole hour earlier than necessary to make up for yesterday. And as you were going through your fifth file of the morning it seemed to be paying off. Your surrounding colleagues had trickled in and out of the office as the day caught up to you. The snow brought in on their boots had melted into watery puddles. Trailing from the lobby as far as the meeting room. A yellow caution sign had been set up as a precursor, however that didn't stop a few visitors from skidding slightly as they passed. A disgruntled cop holding a mop wipes up the new mess brought in. His face clearly saying he wasn't happy to be doing android work. Before an android would just stand there all day cleaning it up, but not anymore. Even the wall the synthetic police force used to be stationed at was empty. The building now void of all working androids, well except one that is. Situated at your less than practical desk. You took to Connors side of the divide. Thinking he'd be far less upset than if you had taken a part of Hank's desk. Being as unobtrusive in his work space as you could, you had set up a small area for yourself.

'Well think of the devil and he shall appear.' On cue the pair arrive, icy gleams reflecting off of their coats as they spot you. 'Did they come here together?' Pushing your thought's aside you speak once they're in range. "Good morning Hank, Connor." You give your most pleasant smile trying to seem friendly and inviting. 'C'mon, start the day off right this time..' Ignoring your greeting Hank starts. "We've got a case, homicide, Get going." With that he turns and walks away. 'My first real case' Conner had stayed. Unmoved his arm extends to you. "Good morning, Would you like a coffee?" Caught off guard you see a cup carefully wrapped in cozies to keep it warm. "You got me a drink?" you question. "Well, yes. I took the liberty of getting you one when Hank ordered one for himself. Think of it as, a peace offering." His arm still outstretched to you. He's wearing an expression you can't quite place. A soft smile and furrowed brows carefully directed at you. Your fingers wrap around the cylinder. "Thank you Connor, that's.. very thoughtful of you." His features alter. A now more genuine smile emerging. Or at least as genuine a smile a machine could give. 'Was he worried I wouldn't take it?'

"Shall we then?" Grabbing your coat you both make your way out of the station. Walking through the lobby you take note of the few people sitting in the waiting area. A young couple holding onto each other, tears streaming. 'Tragedy this early in the morning huh?' Immediately you're assaulted by the biting cold when crossing the gap to the outside world. Bringing the small bit of warmth the beverage contained inward to keep your palms warm. Glancing around you see no sign of Hank. "Where's the Lieutenant?" Connor doesn't make eye contact as he gesture's to an ancient looking car. "He's over there. Hank likes to drive his own car instead of the police vehicles." Trotting through the snow you follow. "But isn't that against the rules?" You could hear load music echoing inside the cabin from the outside. "Perhaps." Is all Connor say's as he opens the backseat door for you. "Thanks, again." You say in more of a mumble under the loud music, as he get's in the passenger seat. Starting on your way Connor lists off the address, almost yelling to be heard over the instrumental track. Hank just grumbling in reply. The fact that an android was sitting in the front when there was another human, was weird to you at the least. But the notion is quickly swiped away as you feel the take out box cave in under your foot. Picking it up Hank glances at you through his review mirror. The old grease beginning to drip out the side. He turns the music down just enough so he can be heard. "Oh-sorry about that, no one ever really sits back there." With a nod in acknowledgement you put it off to the side. Despite the jazzy music filling the air it was astonishingly heavy. The mere presence of everyone was awkward in the space, as you felt out of place. Quietly sipping your peace offering. 'Should I say something? The musics low enough-' You push the gross box away again as it slides across the seat when the car turns. 'Why aren't they talking?' Just as your thoughts were filling your head; your two companions thoughts filled their own.