4

"Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters."

Charlotte

I blew the candles out on the birthday cake my mother insisted on baking for me. She always went out of her way and made time in her busy schedule to make me a dessert. Twenty years have gone by and she never missed a single birthday of mine. This year though, July 6th just seemed to creep up on me way too fast.

Cole was sat next to me at the table, snapping a picture of me as I extinguished the bright flames. The smile on his face was evident as he gazed at me with a desire I'd never be able to explain. Whatever it was, it made me feel special.

"Here, you get the first piece." My mother beamed at me as she took her knife and began to cut little squares into the cake. I felt Cole's calloused hand reach over and caress my uncovered thigh. The gesture made me stiffen in my seat, and I knew he took note of my reaction.

My mom put my piece of cake down in front of me and proceeded to get a piece for Cole, Jaclyn, and herself too. Her and Jaclyn went to go sit down in the living room together to give me and my boyfriend some time alone.

"I love that you still react to my touch in such an innocent way." He whispered in my ear, causing shivers to go down my spine.

"Well, maybe it's just because your fingers are cold." I puffed my cheeks out in a childish way, causing him to laugh at me.

"Yeah, because that's what it is." He snickered before removing his hand from my thigh.

A small, content sigh left my lips as I put the first piece of cake into my mouth. My eyes glanced over to Cole, who was woofing down on his piece as if it was a child's portion.

"Charlotte?"

"Yes, babe?"

Cole went silent for a few seconds as he stared down at his mostly consumed piece of cake. I always knew that look in his eyes meant that he was debating how he would bring something up to me. Just like the time he tried to bring up the fact that he wasn't ready to bring me home to his parents.

That was an interesting conversation. I jumped at the opportunity to bring Cole home to my mom. Of course, my dad was out of the picture, but I was excited for him to meet my mother and my sister.

He had a bit of a different situation. Of course, I met his twin brother back on his birthday. He didn't grow up with his mom though, Cole was always with his dad. From what he has told me, him and his dad didn't have the best relationship either.

Cole never really forgave his parents for what they did when him and his brother were young. With such a broken household, they thought that it would be best to take in one twin each and raise them separately. Apparently, Cole's mother was a better parents than his father was. So there is some hostility behind their relationship.

"It's been seven months." Cole snapped me out of my thoughts, causing my blue eyes to flicker at him. "Promise you're not sick of me yet?"

His question made me chuckle as I set my fork down.

"Not yet, why?" I smirked, leaning back in my chair so that it rocked up on two legs.

Cole rolled his eyes at me and shook his head shortly after. He made his way over to my kitchen cabinets and opened the mahogany colored door. Inside the cabinet was a box wrapped in black and silver with a sparkly bow on top. With ease, Cole got the box down and made his way back over to me.

"Happy birthday, beautiful." Cole pressed a kiss to my temple as he leaned over my shoulder from behind and set the box down in front of me. Once he did that, he set his hands down on my shoulders to look over me.

With his eyes watching me, I carefully took each loose end of the ribbon tied around the wrapped package and tugged. The bow fell apart, getting sparkles all over the package and my skin. I then began to unwrap the actual package with ease.

All I have to say is that Cole can tape a package a little too well. I had to have him help me pull all of the tape off of it before I could even attempt to take the top off. Once I did though, my motions froze in midair.

There was a scrapbook sat down in the white tissue paper. The cover photo was a picture of the two of us at the Winter Social together. He was holding me in his arms with a goofy smile on his face.

"Cole, did you..?" I gasped, pulling the black covered scrapbook out of its box. All he did was nod his head as he watched the smile on my face take over my features.

I began to flip through the pages of the book. I knew that he had put a lot of effort into this, for he was not usually a very artistic person.

There were photos of us littered all over the front and backs of pages. Some of them were silly Snapchat pictures we had taken with filters, and some of them were serious photos taken at a miniature photo shoot we had done with Kristie and Andy. Some of the photos were just candid pictures we had taken of each other, and some were taken of us by family, friends, and even strangers at some of our favorite places.

He had written little notes on the corners of certain pages or underneath specific photographs to point out his favorites. There were also little heart and flower stickers across the pages. It was probably the most thoughtful gift someone had ever given me.

I didn't say anything as I got out of my seat and moved around it to get in front of Cole. His eyes followed me out of my seat, a small smile on his lips.

My feelings overwhelmed me as I wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face into his chest. His arms snaked around me, holding me close. The beating of his heart calmed me as I took in deep breaths.

"Thank you, I loved it." I whispered quietly, looking up at him to look into his emerald eyes filled with what I believed was love.

"I love you." He smiled down at me, bringing himself down enough to press his lips against mine.

"I love you too." I murmured back against his lips quietly.

"Baby?"

"Yes?"

"That's not all I got you." He chuckled softly as he pulled away from me slightly so that I could see his face.

"It's not?" I asked, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"It's not here though." He whispered in my ear, causing little goosebumps to raise on my skin.

"Where is it then?"

"My apartment."

I AM NOT DEAD! Some bad stuff happened right before graduation that I have been dealing with and so I've been working on healing myself.

Sorry for this filler chapter, but I needed to get her birthday in soon enough.

But I'm so excited for the upcoming chapters, although I may make myself cry just by writing them.

Are y'all ready?