Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

Charlotte still couldn’t wrap her head around the idea that a week from now, she would be able to wake up every morning with William sleeping next to her. They could spend all day and all night doing everything together. Looking from this prospect, even mundane things like eating breakfast, was worth looking forward to.

Charlotte had a firm belief that she should never rise sooner than ten, especially if she had attended a party the night previously. In spite of this, due to the wedding that will soon take place, she had been forced to rise earlier than usual. There were still so many things that had to be done. She was grateful that the invitations had been sent out to the guests. She couldn’t possibly pen another one, having written so many names on some many invites, she could still taste ink on her fingers.

Lying on her bed and listening intently, she could hear the house was beginning to creak and hum with activity. The staff was probably already busy down in the kitchen. Fanny was probably going to burst into her room in a few more minutes, hot water at the ready for her morning rituals. She would loathe getting up though, she thought, it was so comfortable on the bed with William.

With William.

Her eyes widened and fear quickly hummed through her body.

Charlotte hastily jumped out of bed, yanking the blanket as she did so. William, who was peacefully asleep, was startled to wakefulness. He was rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand and blinking the sleepiness away when Charlotte frantically thrust a bundle of clothes into his lap.

“What’s wrong?” William questioned. His voice was still gruff with sleep.

“It’s morning.” Charlotte answered, pointing outside the window.

“Yes sweetheart, morning usually comes after night ends. They alternate, you see?”

“Very clever.” She retorted before darting to the bedroom door and locking it. “However, you fail to appreciate the situation at hand.”

“What situation?” William was pulling his trousers on at minimal speed.

“It is morning.” She repeated.

William looked out the window. “It is. Beautiful day ahead of us, don’t you think?”

“It is. It would be a shame to die on such a lovely day.” William raised his brow, clearly confused while Charlotte shook her head in frustrations. “Oh for goodness sake William: its morning! My brothers will kill you if they find out you spent the night in my room!”

When William started pulling his trousers with haste and throwing on his shirt without bothering to button it properly, Charlotte knew that her point was made. She did help him locate his boots and held the window opened from him, as he was leaving. She was glad that it was still relatively early. There were still no real activity going on in the streets or else William would have been spotted climbing down from her window.

As William dangled from the window, holding on the rope made out of blanket yet again, he groaned. “There’s a rose bush underneath your window.”

Charlotte smiled sweetly. “I know there is. And i highly believe that you will survive them.”

“Kiss for luck? I might tumble down and die, you know?”

Leaning down, Charlotte puckered her lips and gave William a swift peck on the cheek.

“That wasn’t a real kiss.” William protested in annoyance which invoked a laugh from Charlotte.

“That will have to suffice for now.” She replied. Before she closed the window, Charlotte leaned down close to his ear.