“What’s a pretty girl like you doing out here all alone?” “He asked me,” my mother said.

I looked at her closely and imagined her sixteen years before. She wouldn’t have had her laugh lines around her eyes. Her cobalt blue eyes would have sparkled like diamonds in the sun. Her long black hair, shorter, and more vibrant. She would have been a little bit thinner, and at only five feet tall she would have complimented him in every way almost. I imagined they would have made a cute couple.

“I was only sixteen. The same age you are today. I was shy and I think he knew.” My mother said, “We started to talk and found we had a lot in common. Eventually over the period of a month we told each other our problems. He went to my parents and asked for my hand I marriage. To this day I still don’t know why they said no. We were obviously in love. Then one day a few months later we were taking and out of the blue he said it was for the best. I burst into tears and he held me trying to comfort me. One thing led to another and we spend the night tangled in each other’s arms under the willow tree. When I awoke, he was gone. I got dressed and sat by the pond for a while thinking, not really sure what to do next. His brother appeared and told me everything. About how John had loved me and when he realized what had happened the night before….he’d hung himself.” My mother said sorrowfully as I hugged her.

She began to cry and I held her rocking body for what seemed like hours. As she cried, I told her it was okay and smoothed her hair back behind her ear, as she’d done for me many times. I kissed her forehead and her cheek as the sobs wracked her body. I felt sorry for her. I imagined what it would have felt like to be in her place to know that pain. “Its okay mom, I’m not mad or upset, and you’ve got me. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.” I whispered choking back tears as the door opened to admit my boyfriend.

“What’s wrong?” he asked watching us carefully.

“I’ll explain later.” I told him. “Mom what else did he tell you? I asked feeling like there was something she hadn’t told me.

Right as she choked out, “They killed him. They killed my John.” Through her tears and her grief. My boyfriend watched wearily, looking torn and confused.

“No, no they didn’t mom. Look at me. Dad killed himself. He didn’t think he had a chance. For whatever reason Grandma and Grandpa didn’t think he was right. You should talk to them to help you get through this. They might tell you. Please mom, what did my uncle say? Why am I so drawn to this place?” I asked rocking her still trying to comfort her.

“He told me that there was an old folk tale. About the maiden and her uncrowned prince. He would be denied her hand and kill himself. Leaving the young maiden to raise a child on her own. When the child was the same age as the maiden when her love committed suicide, she would find the meadow and it would happen in reverse. It’s to end the family line. Their family was cursed when they lost the thrown because a witch felt they deserved it. It’s why I’ve kept all of this from you. “She said through her tears only beginning to cry harder. Her last sentence was almost all sobs.

A long silence fell over the three of us as my mother continued sobbing in my arms. I looked from her tearstained face to my boyfriends shocked face. I was having trouble preventing my own tears, but managed when he looked at me, his eyes practically begging, and said, “Please don’t start crying. I’m not sure I can handle two emotional women.”

Swallowing my tears I stared out the widow a moment and pondered on what to do. I had to go to the meadow. It was calling me, but I couldn’t leave my mother like that and then end up killing myself. I prayed that I would be strong enough to resist the curse as I looked at my mom yet again and pushed the hair from her face, “Mom, I’m going. I’m going there. I’m going to find a way to break the curse, to change the story. I promise you I will never kill myself. I could care less about continuing our family line, but I won’t leave you. Not like that.”