chapter nine ➸ unexpected

Start from the beginning

Carlisle puts a hand on Esme's shoulder. Bree's screaming briefly stops. Jane waits for an answer.

"I don't — know. Riley wouldn't — tell us. He said our — our thoughts weren't safe."

Jane zaps her again. Esme is about to say something, but Edward beats her to it. "Her name was Victoria... Perhaps you knew her?" Bree's pain abruptly ceases. Jane faces Edward with an innocent smile that's somehow unnerving.

The other three Volturi are suddenly positioned behind Jane. They didn't even see them move.

Bella plants herself firmly at Edward's side, she can't protect him, but she can die trying. The air is tense. This could turn bad, fast. Although Ingrid was there, they didn't want an unnecessary war with the Volturi and Originals.

Carlisle intercedes with great and purposeful calm. "Edward, if the Volturi had knowledge of Victoria, they would have stopped her. Isn't that right, Jane?"

Jane just looks at Carlisle. A long moment of silence the only heard throughout the clearing. Jane gestures to Bree. "Felix." Felix moves to the newborn.

"She didn't know what she was doing." Esme pleads.

"The Volturi doesn't give second chances." She looks to Edward. "Keep that in mind. Caius will be interested to hear she's still human."

Bella faces her, strong and unflinching. "The date is set."

Jane is ever-so-slightly taken aback by Bella's confidence. Her look lingers on Bella - this human. Edward stands ready to defend her.

"I wonder if you'll still be immune to my powers after you've changed, Bella." She turns to Felix. "Take care of that, Felix. I want to go home."

Before Felix can even touch Bree, Ingrid throws him across the clearing and growls warningly, her hybrid features on display. "Touch one hair on her and I will rip your head off your body."

Jane trembles in fear of the Original but still tries to appear impassive. "Felix." She gestures to Ingrid.

He hesitates at first, but an order is an order. He rushes towards Ingrid and gets a hold of her neck, lifting her from her feet. She puts her hand on his and easily overpowers him. She rips off his hand and throws it into the fire. He shouts in pain. Ingrid moves to remove his head when she speaks.

"If you do not leave my sight, I will make sure the rest of you go home to Volterra in pieces." She snarls.

Jane nods her head fearfully as Ingrid releases Felix, the Volturi speed away.

Bree runs to Ingrid, hugging her, murmuring thank you over and over again. Ingrid looks down at the girl in her arms, a soft smile on her face.

Ingrid and Bree are about to walk into the cabin when Bree stops. Ingrid looks back at her. "What's going on in that head of yours?" Her accent thick and full of exhaustion.

"Are you sure you want me here?"

Ingrid sighs. "I meant what I said when I told you I'd take care of you."

"But I can't be around humans. I don't know how to-" Bree begins to ramble. "Bree." Ingrid cuts her off. "Do you want to be a vampire?" She looks at the young girl, deadly serious.

"It doesn't matter. I'm stuck like this."

Ingrid walks over to a nearby tree and her voice comes out as a whisper. "What if there was a way that you weren't like this? Would you take it?"