Prologue

Prologue

"Really, Lovegood?" Draco scoffed, staring down at Luna, who was in front of the fireplace in their common room.

Luna had her wand amid, read to cast another spell into the fire to make fun shapes.

Luna jumped, smiling up at Draco. "Hello, Draco Malfoy. I didn't see you there."

He rolled his eyes and strode over to the black couch, stretching out upon it. A table next to him had an empty lantern upon it, which he ignored and grabbed the book beside it.

"It isn't very good for eyesight to read in the dark. You may want to consider turning on that lamp," said Luna politely. Draco turned his cold, hard gaze onto her.

"There is no flame, Lovegood. It is useless. I also have the firelight, so it's not completely dark." Draco flicked his eyes back to his leather-bound book.

"You could always use magic," said Luna, putting her wand behind her ear. Her new wand was a bit larger than her other wand, so it was quite difficult to keep it there.

Draco glared at her. "I don't have my wand on me. It's in my cloak pocket on the rack, and I don't feel like getting up to get it."

Luna smiled up at him, despite his awful glare. "I could always do it for you. I used to create little flames out of the Ravenclaw common room's fire all the time. It's a fun little charm, and it's very easy. Professor Flitwick taught us in first - " Draco cut her off rudely.

"Yes, I know. I took charms like every other dumb Hufflepuff and know-it-all Ravenclaw." Luna decided to ignore the comments about both houses, but it did pang a small feeling in her heart.

Carefully, Luna constructed a small flame from the wand she pulled from behind her throbbing ear. She carried it over to the lamp with caution and put it in, clutching her books in the other hand.

"There," she whispered. "Goodnight, Malfoy." Then Luna headed off to the right of the common room where her dormitory awaited her slumber.

Draco Malfoy felt just a little sliver of regret considering she had called him Malfoy. He didn't mind when Potter or Weasley or Granger or even his friends said it to him.

But Luna was different. She had always called him Draco, Draco Malfoy, or even Draco Lucius when she was upset with him. This time, he went over the line.

Draco knew that Luna was fragile and protective over her friends and her house. Even though most of the Ravenclaws didn't like her and thought she was dumb, she loved her house.

Loony Lovegood was the worst thing he had done. Why would he go that far with names? She wasn't put into Ravenclaw for nothing.

If the dumb little creatures didn't exist, and she was a lunatic after all, she should at least be in Hufflepuff, right? Her uncanny kindness to everyone is startling, but not untrue. She must be so frail that she thinks everyone else is, too, and cares for them as a delicate teacup.

"Lovegood," Draco startled even himself by saying it. "Wait..."

When he turned around, he saw that she was peeking out of her door with one pale blue eye. She hadn't completely gone into her room, yet, and was planning on shutting it quietly.

"Yes?" She squeaked out.

Draco found himself saying in a low and groggy voice, "I apologize."

Although he didn't say it that loud, Luna perked up. She had heard it as well as him screaming it into her face. Luna's face slowly stretched into a faint smile, and Draco sighed with relief.

She wasn't mad. "It is okay, Malfoy."

Draco's relief went away. She, in fact, was still upset with him. Even with the most subtle hints, he noticed. Luna never said his last name in place of a title. Today was the first day that she had done it.

Draco's jaw clenched. "Why can't you just accept my stupid apology and move on with your life?" He all but yelled, coming very close.

Luna looked startled, staring level into his eyes curiously. Her door was all the way open now. "I did accept your apology, Malfoy. Are you feeling alright?"

Malfoy. There it was again. "No, I'm not feeling alright! I'm furious! You claim to have accepted my apology, yet you still play immature and call me Malfoy."

So that's what this is about? Luna thought. She almost chuckled, but in fact, she found herself chuckling at the end of her sentence.

"Since you call me Lovegood, I thought I would call you Malfoy. It's not like we're the best of friends, so I just went by what I thought you would like best." Her face had now a full-blown smile, and her chest was shaking rapidly in a chuckle.

Malfoy's eyes went ablaze. "What? So now you read my mind? Telling me all that I like and all that I don't?" His gray eyes were a startling shade, becoming very dark rather than his usual lightness.

"B-But," Luna started out lamely, "I thought you didn't like me. I never said anything about reading your mind, I promise! If anything, the person who knows least about you is me!" Luna desperately tried to save herself from a fight, but she knew it was coming.

"That doesn't mean that you have to start being a bitch!" Draco yelled. Luna was struck; did he just say that?

"If that is how you feel about me, then I will go to bed," Luna spoke softly, trying to put the argument to rest.

This only infuriated Draco, "Now you can't even finish an argument? Petty. Seems like the thing that a mudblood would do. Are you a mudblood?" Luna's eyes widened. How could he even say that?

"Wh-Wh-? Draco," she tried to be calm, "You know that I am not that. I am pureblood, but I am not acting like one of those! I am trying to be civil but you're so big-headed and obnoxious that I can't do so!"

Luna's face turned an alarming shade a pink, almost red. Draco look startled that she yelled at him, but still went on with his case.

"If you're so civil, then go off to bed like you want to!" Draco wasn't making any sense to Luna.

"If I go to bed, then you're just going to insult me like you always do! Call me weak or boring or saying I'm acting like a muggle!" Luna was trying to make Draco understand that, but he was just not taking it.

Draco looked at Luna with a mean glare, "Because you are weak! I bet you couldn't even any dare that I would say for a whole month!"

Luna's eyebrows went up, along with her smirk. "I bet you won't do any dare that I say for a whole month. Wouldn't want to ruin your reputation."

Draco takes his arrogant stance. "Winner watches the other parade around Hogsmeade in their underwear yelling about how they're weak."

Luna was so angry that she didn't even think of all the consequences. "Fine," she yelled.

Luna marched right over to Draco from her doorway and held out her hand. Draco took it. Her petite hand was swallowed by his large one, and they fit quite cutely. Nobody noticed this, though. They were too busy glaring into each other's eyes.

"Deal," they both spoke at the same time, giving one shake of their hands.

Draco and Luna both marched off to their beds, slamming their doors behind them. While they laid there, they both had the same thought:

What have I done?