chapter 2: the piano boy

Hey guys! J here. Thanks to all of you who are reading my story!! Oh gosh is this a long one!! This chapter is going to be about the reader's time in middle school, with Kubota Sho, her first love. His name was just a random one my friend and I picked in a generator. Don't worry, Kageyama will come into the story again soon. I hope you guys enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words couldn't describe how thankful you were for art club that day. Your encounter with Kageyama brought back old memories you preferred to suppress. Drawing had always helped you clear your mind. Even if just for awhile, you were thankful for the pleasant distraction, because right now you were walking home with a heavy heart.

You sigh as you pull your key out of your school bag, putting on a smile to greet your parents, who were blissfully unaware of your troubles. Moving here to Miyagi had been stressful, you didn't want to add any more on their plates by being all mopey.

After dinner, you lie in bed, finding yourself unable to sleep. No matter how many sheep you counted or how many times you tossed and turned, you just couldn't. Staring blankly at the ceiling, your mind wanders to somewhere else.

-

One day in your second year of middle school, what started as a light shower turned into a heavy downpour. You had forgotten your umbrella at home, and you would rather wait here at school than run out into the pouring weather.

There was no art club today that day, and since sitting around was boring, you wandered around aimlessly. The school had a completely different vibe when it was empty, it had never felt this big or lonely before. You let your mind go blank, the soothing sizzle of the rain was like music to your ears.

That's when you realised you actually were hearing music.

Your head perked up at the solemn, airy melody mingled with the drumming of rain outside, creating an ethereal ambiance in the empty building. Who was that playing? You began to make your way to the music department, searching for the source of the music, drawing you in like a siren's call.

Turning a corner, you saw an open practice room right at the end of the hall. You walked closer cautiously, not wanting to make yourself known just yet.

You took a peek into the room, and there was the last person you expected to see, Kubota Sho.

Kubota was the shyest, quietest boy in your class. He never really spoke to anyone, and never showed any interest in doing so. You found him intimidating in a way, because no one could ever read his perpetually sleepy eyes. You never imagined those eyes to be filled with such passion like they were at that moment.

He was completely absorbed, swept up in the emotional climax of the piece. Fiery eyes transfixed on the ebony and ivory before him, eyebrows furrowed, body shaking as he pressed each key with fervor and purpose. Each note was so full of grief, he was feeling every little bit of that, and you were too. His performance was truly touching, so raw and real that you couldn't help but stare. You had never seen something like this in person before, and it truly resonated.

Taking a final breath, he closed his eyes, leaning over the piano as he exhaled. On the edge of his seat, he sounded the final chord. You hadn't even realised you were holding your breath until you broke into applause. "K-Kubota, that was so touching!" you squeaked, suddenly aware of your warm cheeks and the fast pace of your heart.