"You should put some clothes on," Rhys finally manages to mutter.

"Yeah, I probably should. I don't think the people at the fair will appreciate my half naked body," I say, feeling a kick of triumph in my chest when Rhys's neck flares a brighter red, if possible, and the tips of his ears pink.

"No, I don't think they would," he murmurs, just barely pushing the words past his lips. I could stay here forever. But I know I have to get dressed. I walk past Rhys toward my dresser. I'm going to have to drop the towel. If I make it a big deal, it will be a big deal. A part of me wants to dramatize the moment, but I'll let Rhys catch a break this time.

I methodically pull boxers on and then pants, not spending a second to check if everything fits comfortably. I have no idea if Rhys is watching or not, but I can't think about that.

"Done," I say after I pull a sweatshirt over my head, turning to look at Rhys. He looks up from his phone. I guess that means he wasn't watching. It's hard not to feel disappointed.

"Don't forget your phone." Then we walk outside to his car. We're pretty early. The fair really only gets going at around 6 p.m.

"We can go to the river," Rhys says as he starts the car. I can barely hide my sharp intake of breath. He really wants to move on. Going back to the river is an apology, it's realizing his mistakes and owning up to them, and then trying to make up for it. Rhys has one hand on the wheel, to all the world casual and collected, but I know him better. He's as acutely aware of the situation as I am.

"Yeah that sounds great."

We both relax into our seats at the same time, and drive toward the river.

***

"It's nice out," Rhys murmurs. He squints at the river. He's not wrong. It's nice like it usually is here, blue skies and 70° F weather. But the trees aren't filled with green leaves or blooming flowers and fruits like other places in the springtime, and the river is barely inching along in the mud.

"Want a hit?" I ask, revealing my Juul. Rhys nods shyly, taking it from my hands. I swear our fingers brush, but it was too fast to be sure. He inhales, his pink lips wrapping around the edge of the Juul. It feels like ages since we've hung out together like this. I didn't realize how much I missed it, the familiarity of the situation, the scenery. It's like nothing has changed. But that's not even close to the truth—the proof is how I feel when I look at him. But maybe it has always been like that, and I'm only now noticing.

"Lauren still ignoring you?" Rhys asks..

"Yeah, she's really pissed." Can we just stay together like this, hidden from the world and from all the people who hate us?

"What did you do again?" he asks.

"Good question. I guess I was just being an ass," I say. He hands me my Juul back, and I take a hit. Rhys's eyes follow the Juul to my lips, his gaze lingering like the last rays of a setting sun.

"I know the feeling."

We stay like that, sitting next to each other and passing the Juul back and forth, soaking up the smell of tree bark and spring breezes. I let my shoulders relax, eyes close, and try to sense where Rhys is, testing if even my body's sensitive receptors can tell when he's nearby.

How many minutes have passed? I swear we've been here almost an hour. I shift, opening my eyes. Rhys is staring, his eyes dark and contemplative, right at me.

Another time, I would've glanced away, but not this time. This time I stare back, right into his sea green eyes. He's slightly startled, maybe because for a moment he was lost in thought, and only just now did he realize I was staring back. A dark red flush creeps up his neck.