"Then it is very likely the jar would be extremely difficult to find." Alexander sighed. The cellar was a vast room and the amount of jars on the floor was enormous.

"Yes indeed, we would have to over turn every nook and cranny." Alicia shook her head, and slowly headed towards the nearest corner, where things of all sorts lay hidden in the dark.

After what seemed like a millenium of searching, Alicia called out, her voice breaking the silence.

"There is something here! I shall require your assistance!"

Alexander quickly made his way over, and his assistance was indeed, required.

Alicia was standing next to a humungous jar, so large Alexander wasn't sure if it was a jar at all. It had been covered by some shelves, so it was not visible unless the shelves were removed. The surface of the jar was coated in a thick layer of dust, which had gathered due to no one touching it for a long time. It was approximately seven hand widths high and five hand widths in length.  

"I am getting too old to lift things like this," Alicia grumbled as she bent down and grabbed an edge of the jar. "On the count of three."

Alexander quickly grabbed an edge of the jar and nodded, to signify that he was ready.

"One, two, three, NOW!" Alicia groaned deeply. The weight of the jar was astonishingly heavy. Slowly, it lifted up to about three inches, and it was quickly set aside. 

"Even if anybody had discovered this jar, I do not think they would take the trouble of moving it. Perphaps that is why no one has touched it for so long." Alexander grimaced as his hand caught on a cobweb that had originally been on the lid of the jar. 

"The key?" Alicia knelt on the floor and brushed her fingers gently over a keyhole. 

"It is here." Alexander reached into his pocket and handed the key to the witch.

The tip of the key disappeared into the hole, then the shaft and finally, the key turned. There was a satisfying click, and a trap-door lifted up on its own accord.

There was a rectangle of darkness where the trap-door had been, but it was large enough to allow for one person to enter at a time.

"I will go in first to see if there are any unsuspected surprises." Alicia was sitting on the edge of the rectangle, having dropped her legs into the darkness.

"But you are very old and frail to physical injuries. It would be better if I..." Alexander trailed off as he was quietened by an sharp glare from the witch.

"I have my ways." With that, she lowered herself down.

Alexander found it very surprising that her glare was able to cut off his words.

"There is a staircase!' Alicia's voice boomed from far below.

"I am coming down!" Alexander dropped down into the rectangular darkness and he landed on a hard surface. Swinging his fire stick towards the hard surface, he saw nothing but stone.

I wonder where that staircase is? he thought.

Suddenly, he stumbled and caught his balance just in time. Looking down, he saw that he was on the stone staircase. 

Shaking his head, he walked down the stairs, examining the walls with the fire stick to spot anything unusual.

He came to a stop at the end of the staircase, where he found Alicia waiting patiently for him.

"You took a very long time," she said, smiling.

"Well, I did get a little caught up at the staircase."

 "I have found a door, but it does not require a key." Alicia pointed her fire stick ahead of her.

"This should be the room where the princess Cassandra is imprisoned." Alexander gazed at the door; numerous cobwebs hung on the doorframe, a long dead rat skeleton lay on the floor and the door was, like the jar, covered in many coats of dust.

Alicia placed her hand on her frail door knob and turned. But, unlike other ancient doors, it opened smoothly, without a single sound. 

Cautiously, Alexander stepped in. The floor was hard stone, like the staircase. But he could not contain a gasp for what he saw next as he looked up.

A mountainous boulder filled up the entire room, with infinite strong chains criss-crossing on the boulder.

Alicia stepped pass him, catching his attention. She made her way to the boulder, without a sound, and grasped a chain. Once again, she ran her fingers over the surface.

It was her way of examining things, Alexander thought, as he stared at the boulder.

Reaching out her other hand with the fire stick, the witch grasped another chain.

Her actions raised questions in Alexander's head, but he dared not to make a sound, much less ask questions. 

The unnerving silence stretched on, until the muscles in Alexander's legs became uncomfortably painful from the standing position he was in. He was unable to move; by some means the sight of the boulder had mysteriously rooted him to the spot.

Finally, Alicia raised her head and nodded absentmindedly. Alexander, relieved, took this a signal to retreat.

It was only when they had returned to the cellar, Alicia spoke.

"The jar should go back in place, as there will be servants here."

"Of course."

The jar seemed much heavier than the first time it was lifted.

After dusting his hands, he followed the witch out of the cellar, closing the door quietly behind him.

Alexander could see his father pacing anxiously outside the door.

"Father, we are back."

Lord Albert turned and at the sight of his son, a wide smile spread across his face.

"Were you able to uncover anything of importance?" Albert gazed at the witch.

"Yes, I know of who constructed those chains." Staring at the wall behind them, she continued. "It is the work of my sister, Hecita."