My parents pursed their lips, but my mom couldn't help it and blatted how happy she was that I was finally attending some social gathering. Marami na akong tinanggihan na imbitasyon. Ito ang unang beses na aattend ako sa debut ng aking kaeskuwela. Mom was so thrilled because of that. Ipinakita ko sa kanya ang imbitasyon at paulit-ulit niyang pinasasalamatan si Zarina habang kumakain kami.

"Zarina Cashe Rivadelo!" The emcee announced her name as the crowd cheered.

I sighed and turned to look at her only to find myself feeling that one big pound in my heart again. I immediately averted my gaze away from her and looked away before her eyes even landed on me. She was wearing a rose gold gown that was very suited for a princess. Her hair was tied into a bun with a small crown on her head.

All throughout her debut, I did my best not to look at her. I did everything to keep me busy. I found myself staring at the plates, flower vases, chandeliers, and the likes just to avoid her. I didn't like the foreign feeling she was giving me.

But I knew avoiding her wouldn't last long. The organizer came to me and told me that it was time for the eighteen roses already. She gave me one long-stemmed rose and waited until it was finally my turn.

The song changed and it was my cue to start walking towards her. She was smiling at me and gave me all of her attention.

I slightly bowed and offered her the rose just like what the organizer told me. Zarina's smile didn't fade away as she accepted the rose. Humakbang ako papalapit lalo sa kanya upang masimula na siyang isayaw. I felt her tensed up because of our closeness, but she relaxed right away and leaned on my chest.

Mabuti na lang at kanina pa hindi normal ang pagtibok ng aking puso kaya wala na itong naging pagbabago sa sobrang lapit namin sa isa't isa. Ngunit sa tingin ko'y kung magtatagal pa ay may posibilidad na magbago ulit ito... Nararamdaman ko.

"We're dancing for almost a minute now," I told her.

Isang minuto lang ang tinagal nang mga nakasayaw niya kanina. We should also be done by now, but the song won't stop playing.

"You are my last dance," she said.

I slightly closed my eyes... I'm her last dance so it should be damn long, huh?

"Jace, I really like you..." she confessed unexpectedly.

I almost stopped dancing, but my mind refused me to. I continued swaying her slowly.

"I never laid eyes on any boy in our school except for only you," she said. "Maybe you can try to look at other people who cherish you like how I do. Ang hirap din kaya ng nababaliwala at hindi napapansin."

I clenched my jaw tightly. Wasn't this enough? I already agreed to be her escort. I was even dancing with her right now and being this close to her!

"I never asked for any attention or affection from you and from the others." I just defended my side.

I felt her nodded. "I know..." she trailed for a second. "Pero wala namang mawawala kung susubukan mong buksan ang mga mata mo para sa mga taong nandyan para sa'yo, 'di ba? You wouldn't know... maybe one day, bigla na lang silang mawala sa'yo bago mo ma-realize ang halaga nila."

Ang ayoko sa lahat ay 'yong pinapangunahan ako sa aking damdamin. I had different principles in life. I was fine being alone. And if ever I needed someone, I never had to open up to others because I have my family.

"If they will leave me sometime, then they're not really there for me at all," I coldly said.

That was what I've learned from my parents' story.