The Exchange Student

"A temporary exchange student?" Haruhi Suzumiya's voice raised as she heard the news from the student council president regarding a new school programme.
"That is what I just said," he confirmed, sighing at the girl he still couldn't see eye-to-eye with at all, "schools across the country have offered their students the chance to temporarily move to other schools and academies in their area, meaning there's going to be new students around to join extra-curricular activities. Do you understand that yet, or do I have to go through it again?" He hadn't lost the way of which he addressed the meddling girl, the notice of such facts leading Kyon to quietly sigh from the back of the office belonging to the student council.
"Okay, okay, I got it!" Haruhi insisted her brow resting low as she sent the president a frown, "but what does this have to do with us if some new students are gonna come here for a while? What, are you setting someone up to join the SOS Brigade without proper initiation?"
Now, it was the student council president's turn to sigh, looking away for a moment to regain the composure that was slowly slipping- she was stubborn, troublesome, and loud. "I don't see what kind of initiation will be required for the poor, young man to join YOUR club. Remember that your activities are still unknown to us. It was a struggle to find somebody suited to join you in the first place, but the one we've chosen and 'recommended' to join you is a student with many interests who's been called quite accepting. Better than the others arriving at North High today- at least, more suited to whatever it is that you're doing."
"An inexperienced trainee who was sent because of a recommendation?" the brunette girl clarified again, earning a distasteful nod from the taller male she was talking to, "and how long will he be with us for?"
"That depends on his achievement whilst he's here and how little of a disruption he'll cause. We're looking for somewhere up to two months, possibly three, again depending on those things."
The brigade leader hummed in consideration, when suddenly, her usual determined smile appeared on her face. "I'm up for your challenge."
'It's not a challenge- it's a serious school programme,' Kyon thought to himself, 'if you get this guy sent out because of your own unfortunate hobbies, I am NOT standing up for you."
"Then it's sorted. Expect the temporary student at your clubroom door after school hours today. And Suzumiya, don't take this too lightly. It wouldn't be the first reputation you've damaged."
Again, the human that stood farthest from this interaction found himself looking around the room, wondering who's had it worse... And came to the conclusion that it was probably him, considering the others didn't actually seem to care. With another sigh to indicate that he'd truly lost hope by this point, Kyon prepared himself for the afternoon ahead...

This unfamiliar boy in the school was tall, WAY more so than most people he'd ever met. Scratch that, ALL people he'd ever met. He stood up to six foot three inches, meaning he towered over a lot of his classmates, wherever he went, regardless of whether he was at his old school or his new, temporary, one. He was blonde, wisps of golden curls brushing against his forehead, somewhat accentuating the copper shine in his eyes. He had quite defined features, his cheekbones and jawline prominent, yet still somewhat subtle. They weren't the most glaring thing about him for sure. He was relatively well-built, no bulging muscles, but a masculine build. Altogether, he was decently attractive. Quite, it seemed, but that didn't stop some people from being intimidated by his height at the very least.
Regardless, he got through his first day without ease and a lot of discomforts, but still, he couldn't complain. He had a decent welcome and his classmates were nice, it was just the lack of friends and people he knew there that was bothering him.

At the end of the day, he trudged lazily down the hallway, searching for the room he was told this new club was held in. The building being fairly new to him, he did end up having to stop and ask eventually, but the student he stopped took him straight there before dashing back off down the hall.
'She seemed nice,' he thought as he kept walking, 'should've gotten her name.'
He knocked on the door as he reached it, his heart racing, curious as to what he'd find on the other side.
'Please be nice people! Please be nice people!' His usual confident and somewhat cocky side seemed to leave him, leaving a shyer side that he'd not known for some time in his place.
He heard some shuffling from behind the door, hearing a female's voice getting closer. He was able to make out the words, 'are you guys ready?' before a deeper, male's voice answered. He could only hear the words 'new guy, don't be too harsh' before the door was opened suddenly.
The new one was met with a young woman, her hair down to her shoulders, her deep brown eyes wide and her face an image of pure determination.
As their eyes met, her face never changing, she eyed him up, looking down to his feet, then back up to his face, having to look a long way considering they must've been a whole foot apart.

"Well, are you?" She spoke suddenly, her snappy tone somewhat startling him to add to the ways she was already intimidating the young man, "the new student who's supposed to try and join our ranks?"
From inside the room, he heard a sigh and immediately related to the person who produced it.

"Apparently so, yes."

"What's your name? Who are you? Why try to join our club?" The girl continued.

"Akira Takami," he answered the first question with some reluctance, "I'm just an exchange student. But, nobody told me what you guys do. Only that it's not part of any regular or expected club activity."

The determined look on the girls face switched to a pout. "That's not true." She declared. "We seek out the supernatural and interesting aspects in life, things that'd make their life more exciting. It's really that simple, why can't people get it?"

"The supernatural?" He questioned.

"Of course! Things are out there, we just gotta find 'em. If nobody else will, it's our job to lure them into the spotlight."

The blonde seemed to smile, impressed by her genuine interest in this subject that she was clearly passionate about. "Sounds pretty cool." he chuckled. "I used to watch sci-fi and fantasy movies and tv shows all the time. Sounds like quite the club you have here."

She was stunned for a moment. Wow, he didn't think them weird and he seemed to understand. Awesome! Her smile returned to her face, her eyes wide and her brow furrowed. "Akira Takami, for the next few days, consider yourself on trial for full-time membership!" She declared. "I like how you think, now come on! Let's get you acquainted."
She pulled him into the club room by his sleeve, the tall blonde suddenly nervous once again as he laid eyes on the other four members that were already inside.

"As the brigade chief, you can call me your supreme leader and chief, Haruhi Suzumiya." Her way of introducing herself was quite eccentric... oh well. He never got along too well with people this excitable, but maybe she'd be a one-off. He hoped...
"That's our cute mascot, Mikuru Asahina."
The female in question made a strange sound, as though she'd been caught totally off guard. Oh god, Akira never knew how to deal with shy people, especially women. God knows, if he said the wrong things, with his cocky attitude, it could be detrimental! People were already afraid of him!
"That's Yuki Nagato! She's pretty quiet, but she's smart and really nice."
This girl simply looked up for a second before returning to her book. God, she looked so bored.
"That's our number two, my deputy brigade chief, Itsuki Koizumi!"
This young man gave Akira a small wave and a pleasant smile, one of which the taller male returned graciously. Although, one embarrassing thought did cross Akira's mind; 'this guy has a nice smile...'
He decided to keep that a secret for a little while longer.
"And that's Kyon." She introduced the last male, who also gave him a small wave. He looked tired, the blonde noticed, or maybe just unamused. Immediately, he worried that his conversations with the shortest of the males in the room would be as dull as the look he was giving.
"He'll do anything you tell him to, right?"

"I never said I'd do that." He retorted, his tone quite angered upon hearing what she had said.
Akira took a breath, seeing the empty seats around the table and deciding to take one beside the young man who wasn't now bickering with Haruhi.

"Hey." Akira greeted him with a friendly smile. "Mind if I call you Itsuki?"

"No, that's fine." Again, that smile... "most people don't, but it might make a nice change."

"Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Akira. Or Takami, my first or last name is fine. I don't care much."

"It's a pleasure."

'At least someone here was nice...'