2

The day was starting to settle. Costumers came and got some books... At least two more from the three women from that morning. I still was on my notes and finished through half the book. Ok... So the main character has to have some sort of weakness... As if the person behind the mystery would know.. I thought and wrote away with a small ball point pen. Suddenly I heard the door ding. I looked and saw a man with a suit and hat. He walked straight in as if he knew the place. Yet, I have never seen him before. I slowly packed my notes into the book again. I straightened my back and waited for the man to come buy or rent a book. I looked around and at the clock, seeing that it was just three in the afternoon. I tapped my finger against the wood of the desk.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

It was about fifty minutes on the max, after looking at the clock another time. I got concerned a bit. Did the man get stuck on one book? Did he leave out the back? I went around the desk and searched through the sections of novels. I continued and got super worried now, this certain behavior never happened before. Some costumers take a while, but never this long. I walked around and soon ended up where the historical nonfiction. I saw the man and he held a book. It was Edgar Allan Poe's Spirit of the Dead. My eyes fixed on the man, who's face was not seen through the shadow of his hat. I licked my lips a bit, "You want to... Buy or rent that book?" I asked a bit under my breath. The man didn't respond right away, but did speak after a pause of silence. "I'm not getting this book." He stated with a New Jersey accent. I played with the frills of my black skirt. "Why are you reading it then?" I asked again. The man let out a single chuckle, "When I was a little one, I was afraid of this book. How the man said about death. It scared the shit outta me." He said with profanity. I wasn't that new with words like those, most people came into the store cussing around.

I gripped my skirt, "Do you have... A preference?" I asked. The man gazed over at me, I saw how his eyes glistened within the dimmed light. I adverted my eyes, "You don't have to answer-"

"Any kind."

"Sir?"

"Any kind of book could be fine, unless the story sucks, then I won't read it." I blinked at the man's answer and scratched my arm a bit. "Oh.." The man placed the book back and looked down at me, shifting his body to face me. That gave me anxiety and I ran my fingers against another. "What about you?" I gasped and looked at him, "A-About what?"

"You're preference, what kind of story do you like?" The man asked, I saw his face beneath the hat now. I bit the inside of my cheek. "I.. I like mysteries.." I said and the man hummed, "You like those novels that go into crazy detail of murder? Interesting. I like that too."

"You do?" I asked surprised. The man smiled down at me, "Of course. It's very interesting." I felt a small bundle of energy hit the inside of my heart. My cheeks became pink and I looked aside, "That's nice to know that someone has the same interests as me..." The man made a noise and removed his hat, I looked up to only have my breathing stop. This man was drop dead beautiful, he had a distinct jawline and pushed back hair with narrow golden eyes. He's handsome... Damn handsome... I thought as I tried to calm down my extreme heartbeat. I coughed and awkwardly crossed my arms over my chest, "I-If you aren't going to get anything then leave..." I said trying to act tough. The man laughed, "Trying to act hard headed? Alright." The man then looked at the books again, his eyes scanning through as that smile still stood on his face.

I watched as he pulled a book that was near the other book he looked at. He then waved it, "I'll rent this one."

"Ok..." I whispered and then turned around, uncrossing my arms and walked to the desk. The man followed and sat the book on top of the counter. I wrote down the rent price of the book. I then announced the price, "Thirty one." The man reached in his back pocket and pulled out the money. He then sat the money down and smiled, "Here you go." I blushed and frowned, "Thanks.." I then gave him the date it will have to return. "Alright. I will see you soon then." He said and walked to the door. I grasped my chest and sighed, the bell rang, but the door never shut. I looked and saw that the man had the door open, looking dead at me with a smirk. "The name is Luck so you know. May I get your name dollface?" D-D-DOLLFACE?! I have never in my life had been called out, especially dollface. I turned red and stuttered like a crazy person, "I-I-I mean-My-My name is Victoria.. Victoria Hula." The man chuckled again, "Cute name for a cute girl." He said and walked out, shutting the door.

I dropped to the floor, my breathing was uneven and quick. I have never encountered something that severe. I haven't been flirted with nor did I get called cute. My brain spiraled out of control. I grasped the desk that was now above me, "Lord give me strength..." I whispered and got back to my two feet slowly to continue my day.