"Well it sort of did. I don't think they suffered long, and I think they left Ma alone." Peter saw the twitching in her mouth and knew she really wasn't alright.

"Well if it's any comfort, Joe and I lost our parents too Lane, so we're all orphans here."

"Oh I'm sorry Peter."

"Don't be sorry Lane it was a long time ago now and that life is over." Both Lane and Peter grew silent falling into their own thoughts.

"Peter, thank you."

"Don't thank me Lane thank your lucky stars, that's all I'll say."

"What, that I ran into you and Joe?"

"No, that you got away." Peter wasn't going to elaborate on how her mother probably wasn't left alone; she didn't need to hear anything like that, especially because he didn't know for sure. He leaned his head back on the stone wall and let out a long breath. "I still can't believe where that rock landed Lane, that's amazing to me." Lane laughed weakly

"I know you really should have been there to see the look on Joes face."

"Yeah Joe loves that kind of stuff, things happening for a reason and all that." Lane turned her head to examine Peter. She had to tilt her head up a little because he was taller than her, even when sitting.

"And you don't?" She asked. Peter looked down to Lane and their eyes met. His eyes seemed as though they had seen all the horrors of the world. Lane could tell he carried the weight of his problems there.

"I don't know Lane. All I know is that you have to make the most of your situation, and be the best person you can be." Lane smiled at him, she liked Peter and she felt an instant connection with him when she talked with him properly for the first time the other day. Now, her admiration for the man only grew in listening to him. "Here Lane lay your head down on my shoulder it would be better than the hard ground that's for sure." Lane sat back, a bit unsure of the offer. "Just pretend I'm your brother Lane" she smiled at him.

"I do trust you Peter."

"Good because that's all I ask of you Lane." Peter patted his shoulder and Lane slowly leaned against it, making herself comfortable. "See it's better right?"

"It's actually still quite hard." They both laughed. Lane felt rather shy about leaning on Peter as she was but the contact was nice. What she most needed was another hug like the one Joe gave her earlier, but having someone close was going to have to be good enough for now. At least she wasn't by herself, things would have been much harder to bear if she were. Hours later Peter was still sitting up with Lane leaning on him, listening to her soft snores when he heard Joes whistle then the rustling of leaves as his brother made his way into the cave.

"And how do you think your going to take your shift when you're holed up like that?" Joe asked, quietly smiling at his brother.

"I might know how to comfort a female better than you little brother but I sure do say stupid stuff to make the situation to begin with."

"What did you say this time?" Joe asked as he was making himself comfortable against the wall. Peter watched his younger brother relax, he looked tired and he felt guilty that Joe had to do more than his share of things because of his broken arm which was aching a lot tonight.

"Oh nothing and you're taking over here when it's my turn. That's how I'm going to take my watch." Joes head whipped around to stare at his brother.

"I've already had a go at doing that sort of thing today, Peter." Joe whispered, annoyed.

"Joe it's not just us anymore, we've got Lane to worry about now. We weren't there for Jinny and Sue so we will be here for her." Peter replied then ran his hand over the back of Lanes head to sooth her when she started to stir.