I went to call Amber.  She didn’t pick up. I suppose she was mad at me from earlier. I texted her instead, and she responded that it was alright.  

I asked Cha, and Cha said she could go. So me and Kay packed an overnight bag.

“Wait! We need my book Uncle Aug. I want you to read me a story.” She put the book in the bag, and we headed to Amber’s house.

 “Uncle Aug is this a mansion?” Kay asked me as she got out the car.

“Naw, but it is big ain’t it?”

She shook her head in amazement.

“It’s like my Barbie doll house.” I grabbed her hand and we headed inside.

“I wanna house like this.” She jumped up and down on the white marble floors in the foyer.

She broke away from my grip and ran down the hall.

“Kay!”

 “Huh?” She stopped.

“Don’t do that. This not your house. Take off your shoes.” She took off her shoes and sat them next to mine on a small rug by the door designated for shoes.

“Where I’mma sleep?”

“I gotta ask Amber. Amber!” I called.

Amber looked over the bannister before coming down the stairs.

“Is that my Kay?” She said with a bright smile.

Kay ran up to her, meeting her halfway at the stairs. Amber picked her up and hugged her.  “I like your house Ms. Amber.”

“Oh yeah, well you can come over anytime you want.”

 “Okay.” Kay put her finger in her mouth.

“You wanna see the pool?”

Kay’s eyes got super big. “Pool!?”

“Yeah, let’s go see.” Amber opened up the glass door that led to the pool, walked out and closed it.

I stood, watching them from the other side of the glass. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but I saw Kay whisper something to Amber and Amber looked at me then started laughing. They continued their conversation and I saw Kay clapping and grinning.  

And I know this shit is about to sound extremely petty, but a nigga was starting to get jealous. I guess it was like, you being a parent to a child. Then they see somebody else parent, and wonder why you not as great as this other parent.

Maybe I was overthinking it, but in my mind, I was thinking maybe she liked Amber more than me cause she could provide her with things I couldn’t. On top of that, Amber didn’t even acknowledge my presence. It was like, she forgot I was here. She went straight for Kay.

I sat on the living room couch as they came back in.

“Uncle Aug, Auntie Amber said I can swim anytime I want. I gotta tell Chay and Noonie.” She said excited.

“Kay come sit here with Unc. Let’s talk.” I patted to the empty space next to me.

“No, I want to go with Auntie Amber. She’s gonna show me my room.”

“Auntie Amber huh?”  I cut my eyes at Amber. Amber just looked at me.

 “Auntie Amber can I see my room now?”

Her attention was drawn to Kay, who was pulling on her pants leg.

“Yes sweetie.” Amber took her upstairs.