Chapter 12 - ***REVISED***

Start from the beginning

"Yes, well if she is unwell, it is her own doing," Mrs. Crabtree said, turning around to glare at her husband.

Brandon took a swallow of his coffee while Alla stood nearby, clearly worried.

Mrs. Crabtree crossed her arms and paced in front of Breanne. "Do you realize what you have done to us?" she sneered. "All this while you have said that you cannot remarry because of your love for Torrington; yet all it took was a savage to get you to—"

"Enough." The single word shot out from Brandon. Both Breanne and her mother looked on at him in surprise, yet he was piercing her mother with his glare.

Mrs. Crabtree swallowed and glanced pointedly at her husband, obviously wanting him to say something.

Mr. Crabtree scratched his head and took a seat near Brandon, making a conscious effort not to look at either party.

"You will speak to her with a bit more decorum than you are at present, madam," Brandon ordered.

Her mother's mouth gaped open before she was able to voice her thoughts. "With all due respect, this is a family affair, your grace."

"They are my family," Breanne countered, with more courage than she was wont to muster when her mother was so vehement.

Mrs. Crabtree's head snapped to her daughter. "They will be your only family soon if you do not explain yourself. Your father and I are prepared to disown you if our suspicions are correct."

Alla stepped forward, but Brandon took hold of her hand, pulling her back next to him, subtly shaking his head at her.

Breanne saw the action and noticed that his cheek twitched twice. He was right though, as angry as they might become, it was best that they did not get involved in such a sad state of affairs.

"Come, Dorthea," Mr. Crabtree said. "Sit by the fire and relax while Breanne explains to us what has happened."

"I'll not explain a thing."

"What?" Her mother and father turned to her in unison. Shock lit her mother's face, while her father looked on at her in wide-eyed disbelief.

Breanne shook her head. "It is my affair, so do what you will. If you wish to disown me, I am prepared for that eventuality."

"Breanne," Alla whispered, pleadingly.

Breanne turned to see Brandon squeeze her hand once more. Alla glanced from Breanne to Brandon and sighed in despair. Breanne could imagine why. If her parents disowned her, then all of Liverpool would hear of it and would assume that the rumors were true. A knock pounded on the main door behind her. Breanne groaned. The last thing she needed was more visitors, especially at a time like this.

"If you don't mind, I'll answer the door," Brandon offered as he came to his feet. Breanne nodded and he strode off.

"Breanne, dear," her father tried, after taking a hearty swallow from his glass of whiskey. "You need to tell your mother and I exactly what is going on. We arrive here and you are with...with child," he sputtered out in frustration. "We do not know what to think. You must enlighten us."

"To the contrary, I know exactly what to think." Her mother suddenly stood up, facing the door. "Ah, here is the scoundrel now. Tell me, do you plan on making something of an honest woman of my daughter? You have naught but scraps to work with but I demand you do what is right!"

Breanne froze. Of course today would be the day he chose not to work in the stables, or mending fences, or pulling weeds. No, today he would stride up to the front door and pound his meaty fist upon it.