Chapter 1 || Ari's Extremely Normal Day

[1.25.2019]

+ changed title from "My Hero!" to "Ari's Extremely Normal Day"

+ shorter. no seriously i cut a lot of unnecessary things

✿ ✿ ✿

When the sun comes up, Ari grabs her journal and starts detailing the events that happen in her ordinary life.

7:00 — Open the blinds and turn off the ceiling light. Go through a box to find an outfit. It's bright, gaudy, and mismatched. Perfect.

7:15 — Go outside to scavenge for some food. Once again, the meal is burnt fish. One day, I'll learn how to cook.

7:30 — Appreciate the beautiful silence only broken by rustling grass and fish jumping out of the way of falling trash. Breathe in the smell of the river (ignore the smell of garbage). Enjoy the shining sun on your back (but not long enough to get sunburned). Be happy (but never too happy).

She stuffs the journal into her brand new messenger bag that she had gotten on her birthday. This idea of making a schedule has been something she's been doing consistently for the past couple of weeks, which should be surprising to anyone that she's doing it since she's determined to live her life as lazily as possible. Ari only does it to keep track of her day to day life since she's been forgetting more and more. It was inevitable, but she didn't expect it to come so soon.

Speaking of forgetting things, she looks back to her past entries. A growing dread falls over her. Uh oh. She knows that she doesn't have to check on her every day, but it still isn't good to not check on her literal savior for a whole week. Knowing that woman, that dingy place of hers is a mess without Ari to come around in begrudgingly pick up all the trash. So she crosses the riverbed of the Musufatu River to get to her.

Ari goes past the shabby "homes" that make her feel better about her own shabby home, walks by the "bath house" and the church, through the overgrown grass that someone really needs to take care of, and finally finds herself in front of a manhole cover. To most, Ari looks like she's about to enter a sewer. That's half-true. She is definitely going into a place that smells like a sewer (especially if a certain someone doesn't check in), but it's what's inside that counts. And that inside is 100% not a sewer.

She's halfway down the metal ladder and already can smell the must that carries through this dirty hellhole. It doesn't help that all this stank is only filtered through a very basic ventilation system... Seriously, how can anyone sleep through any of this? Wait, bad question. Ari can name two people who can.

As she turns on the lights, a loud groan comes from the pile of blankets on the other side of the room. A hand shoots out of this mound and waves around sloppily. "Mornin', Nana," Ari says. The hand keeps waving before it goes completely limp. If Ari didn't know this woman's attitude, then she would have definitely thought that she just died.

After quick glances at the mess before her, Ari roots around her messenger bag for a hair tie. Now that the beast of her hair is tamed, she can begin to clean.

Cleaning is her fiercest enemy. It takes too much energy to do it, and the result is usually the same as before she started cleaning since Nana has the amazing ability to make messes as fast as Ari can clean them. Despite her apparent hatred for it, cleaning after the older looking woman is something she feels obligated to since she's her literal savior and all that jazz.

Ari gets to work. Putting away disgusting trash in trash bags, cleaning mountains of dishes, toilets being scrubbed, sweeping dust, and everything else that could be clean. It may have been easier just for her to use her "overpowered" quirk (as her brother calls it), but easier doesn't exactly mean energy efficient. It doesn't really matter since she gets to a point where it looks "good enough" before the point of exhaustion and desperation where she would use her quirk.