Chapter 19: King Xiang Has A Wife

Start from the beginning

Hua Xi Wan raised her eyelids but did not speak.

Princess Rui He's estate had just been finished, and it was the first time she had invited people for a visit. Yan Jin Qiu was so familiar with this place, it probably was not the first time he had come here.

Princess Rui He who had reached the estate ahead of time was not very happy when she heard the guests had encountered a fatal case on the way here. It really was inauspicious to have something like this occur when she had invited guests to her new manor.

狀元 zhuangyuan, 榜眼 bangyan, 探花 tanhua: literally "top thesis author," "eyes positioned alongside" and "flower snatcher"; they are respectively the graduate ranked first, second, and third overall in the triennial imperial examination
"Is it that Zhang Family with the five zhuangyuan, four banyan and seven tanhua[2]?" Princess Rui He was not pleased inside, but she did not show it on her face. She looked at the furen sitting and accompanying her, and showed an expression of slight regret. "I hear that this Master Zhang is a very good scholar. I hadn't imagined that he would encounter such horribleness. They have to capture the culprit. Such a person is too daring!"

This master Zhang had been missing for more than a month, and the Zhang Family had spent a lot of time and effort to search for him. The others had felt a long time ago that there would not be any good news. Now that the news had come, most people would sigh and say that it was to be expected.

There were many prestigious families in Jing. It was a prosperous place, but it was full of scheming. This Master Zhang had been famed from a young age, but he was arrogant. Relying on his birth from the Zhang Family, he looked down on the students from common families. In the last two years, he had become closer to the Crown Prince, his personality even more arrogant. Now, his tongue had been cut and one of his eyes gouged out. It must have been someone with a grudge who had delivered him such an outcome.

Those who were proud of their talents in history mostly did not have good endings. Those who were skilled but loyal to their country would leave behind a mark on history.

The people present heard the princess say this, and followed in sighing as though they had seen how outstanding Master Zhang had been.

After a wave of sighs, Princess Rui He asked, "Which families were delayed on the road?"

"Your Highness, this one heard that Sheng Junwang, Xian Junwang, Ning Wang Shizi and Min Huai Junzhu were delayed. This one also heard that the officials from the Judicial Office have come to personally investigate. The Emperor... must be very angry." The taijian who responded was someone close to Princess Rui He, so he was more daring in his reply than other people.

"Did the womenfolk receive a fright?" Princess Rui He said worriedly. "The womenfolk are at such a young and blossoming age. How can they stand such a shock?"

大人 daren: general term of respect used to refer to those of status
"Please, Princess, do not worry. The people from the Judicial Office will stop the carriages at a distance from the scene of the crime. The noble people did not see anything. Their emotions are steady. But Xian Junwang Fei is related by marriage to the Zhang Family and sent someone to inquire." The taijian hesitated and then said, "And left some people to comfort Zhang Furen and Zhang Daren."[3]

Princes Rui He nodded upon hearing this and indicated for the taijian to retreat. She said to the furen sitting on the seats, "Xian Junwang Fei is an attentive person. Beautiful, of good birth, and cares for people. With her beside my cousin, ben gong does not feel worry." Finishing, she sighed. "A fu needs a woman in charge of the household."

The furen present naturally agreed. They were members of the Imperial Clan, but compared to these people, they were not worth a mention. They naturally had to flatter and prop Princess Rui He up. They also pretended not to hear how Princes Rui He's words were complimenting Xian Junwang Fei on the surface but were implying that Xian Junwang Fei's appearance was too outstanding.