Chapter 1

"Okay, babe, I'll see you later?"

I smiled at my best friend Roxanne as she walked away in a confident don't-talk-to-me way, her bright purple streaked hair reflecting the sun shining bright above us. It was the perfect start to the last year of college, a clear sunny day that made me want to sit outside and do nothing.

Roxy flipped her middle finger to the peppy freshman who whistled as she walked by, making me laugh at her bluntness. She was such a refreshing person, her attitude and confidence something I had never known before.

I looked back up and let out a sigh at the grey limestone building looming ahead, its doorways wide open to welcome us.

I loved our college - Duke had a one of a kind atmosphere, the hallways filled all the time with basketball enthusiasts and the subject of their admiration, our team. The college was difficult to survive in academically, but then again, only the best got

I walked forward and observed all the different chaotic groups around me - the freshman huddled in their scared little groups, the juniors nagging them, and of course, the seniors strolling the hallways like they owned the college. Half of them were probably rich enough to own it, though.

I tugged the sleeves of my thin jacket over my hands, holding the hot cup of coffee carefully. Finishing up the few sips left, I chucked it into a trashcan and walked towards my first class for the day and year, macro economics.

Strolling the hallways again gave me a feeling of satisfaction, especially since it was such a nice day outside. The corridor leading to the classroom was wide and stone cold, yet warmed by the sunlight streaming in through the half wall on the other side. It was just a slab of concrete till my waist that separated the open courtyard with trees shielding the building and the corridor, which let an abundance of sun in.

I pushed the earphone buds already in my ears a little deeper in as one of my favourite songs by the 1975 came on, humming along to the beat. I was in a good mood today, and I was determined to be throughout the day. Studying the beautiful patterns the sun created on the stone floor, I sent a quick prayer to the heavens and hopped for a good last year of college.

My class came in sight, the last door at the end of the corridor. Without glancing up I quickly walked in and claimed my usual seat in the middle-back rows, towards the far right and by the windows. I always minded my own business, stuck to myself and talked less. I had a few acquaintances in classes but my only other very close friend was Roxanne, otherwise known as the girl who wheedled her way into my life. She was also one of the very few people who knew who I was.

I waved at Erik, my favourite person in this class, as I sat down. He pulled his glasses up and waved back. Erik was one of those students who knew the answers to everything and was generally not good at socialising, one of the things I connected with him on.

My bag hit the floor as I slid into the chair, and I pulled out the thick syllabus brief from it, settling down to read.

I had only been reading for a few minutes, however, before I felt his stare on the back of my neck.

I immediately knew who it was, and was sure of it once heavy footsteps descended the stairs and towards my seat. My spine stiffened in preparation, breath quickening.

The earphone bud shoved into my right year was suddenly yanked out, not to harshly but in a way that still made me wince, and the sound of 3 Days Grace infiltrated the air.

His scent did, too, as he bent down over my body and placed his face next to my ear. I could feel the hard panes of his torso and the intense heat coming off of him as his warm breath fanned my cheeks.