Ten

Max was walking out of the middle school building with Lucas next to her, talking her ear off about the quest Mike was working on for Dungeons and Dragons. He had invited her over since El was going to be there with them. She said she would think about it since she really didn't want to have Billy drive her out there and she didn't want Vex to have to skate all the way home from Mike's house.

They made it up to Billy's car where Vex and Billy were standing and talking about a Chemistry test they have coming up. They had some of the same teachers, but no classes together. Vex looked up and smiled at Max and Lucas. Billy turned around and shot a glare at the pair. Vex gently hit his arm, rolling her eyes. "Billy..." Max started softly.

He turned to the side, crossing his arms over his chest as he looked down at his step sister. He knew she was going to ask a favor of him. "Would you be willing to take me to Mike's tonight?" She questioned softly.

He rolled his eyes. "Busy." He spat out. Vex looked over at him, furrowing her brow. He mentioned nothing to her that he was busy tonight, and it only made her question what he was doing.

She turned to Max, grabbing her board. "I'll take you over there after we're done, okay?" She said with a friendly smile.

Max frowned slightly, but Lucas had the biggest grin on his face. "I don't want you to skate all the way home." She mumbled.

Vex stepped past Billy, patting him on the shoulder as a way of saying goodbye. "It's not a problem. I've traveled longer distances in Chicago on this thing." She smiled, walking away with Max and Lucas.

Billy rolled his eyes at the mention of Chicago before getting in his car. Why did he mention he was busy tonight? He wasn't. He was probably going to study for that chem test because if he failed he was off the team and his dad would have his head.

Lucas had walked home after Max and Vex disappeared ahead of him. They were going down the main road, practicing kick flips whenever they were on a flat enough part. "What's going on with you and Billy?" Max asked softly.

Vex looked over at her, placing her foot back on the board, shrugging. "Friends, I guess." She spoke as she looked down at the road in front of them, swerving away from a bump.

Max nodded at her, practicing a kick flip once again and nearly landing it perfectly. Vex stopped and waited for Max to collect herself. "He came home on Saturday and chewed me out for not telling him you had a boyfriend. He said I should have before he got too attached, or something." Max said as she got back on her board, pushing herself off at a good speed and putting her foot back on the board.

"He..." Vex started, not pushing herself off. She ran her hands over her face and through her hair before shaking her head. Max noticed Vex wasn't with her and quickly stopped. "He's attached?" She asked as she looked up at Max with a confused expression on her face.

She shrugged and kept her gaze on Vex. "That's what he told me. I guess he had a whole speech planned on Saturday to tell you how he felt and then Robbie came up." Max shrugged once more and watched as Vex pushed herself back off to catch up to Max and she did the same so they were riding next to each other on their way to Mike's.

Vex shook her head. "That's what he wanted to talk about..." she mumbled, keeping her gaze on the road. "Did he say anything else?" She asked, glancing over at Max as she was setting up her footing to do another kick flip.

Max shook her head muttering no as she decided against it and returning her footing, pushing herself a little faster. She decided to leave out the part where Billy had yelled that he loved her, and nearly passed out at the sudden realization that he had real human feelings.

Honestly, Max was probably even more surprised by the fact he said that because she didn't think he was capable of loving anything, not even animals.

She would be okay with Vex and her brother because she liked Vex, and if she can give Billy feelings, it's worth a shot. She thought maybe if they got together, Billy would start being nice to her or at least she would have someone to defend her. Vex was like the big sister she always wanted.

Max looked over at Vex who was chewing on her slightly long fingernail, which is something she did when she was nervous. "Do you like him?" Max asked, breaking the silence between them. The sudden question nearly made Vex fall off of her skateboard.

She stopped skating, keeping the end of her board under her foot. "I..." she sighed quietly, shaking her head. She wanted to say yes so badly, but when she opened her mouth to say it, something inside of her was battling it and saying no. "Only as a friend." She choked out before getting back on her board and pushing off. That's all this could ever be. She was with Robbie, she loved him.

She thought about the possibility of her and Billy a lot, a lot more than she should, but it always ended the same. It never worked out. They were too similar, but in different aspects. He was the cocky basketball star that can out drink you easily. He was the top dog wherever he went, always outshining whoever he replaced in whatever city he went too. He was a city kid who everyone adored and looked up to, tossed into a sleepy town because his parents thought it would be better for him. He was naturally athletic. He hid his pain behind his ego and was deliberately mean to his sister because of what his dad was like.

She was the cocky artist. She always excelled in any art form she was presented with. She never knew she could be good at welding, but she picked up a blow torch and metal one day and made something out of it. It sold almost instantly. She was always at the top of her art classes. Her teachers were constantly entering her art in shows and exhibitions, winning first almost every time. She didn't have a fucked up life or a fucked up family, but she drowned her emotions into her artwork.

He always needed to be the center of attention while she needed to cling to the shadows. They were both loners and outcasts, but in two completely different ways.

The rest of the way there was nearly silent since they carried small talk and avoided the topic of Billy and Robbie. She waved goodbye to Max and nodded her head towards Lucas. Just as she was about to leave she heard Steve Harrington's voice coming from the garage with a smaller kids voice with him. She turned around and saw the curly haired boy talking to Steve. "Have fun, Dustin." He said to the curly haired boy with a bright smile, walking out of the garage.

He grabbed his car keys and started walking to his car. She turned around and started walking away. She didn't feel like skating home. She needed to think about Billy for some ungodly reason. "Hey." She heard a males voice behind her. She turned around and Steve was standing behind his open car door. He smiled when he noticed it was her. "Get in. I'll drive you home." He spoke to her.

She sighed, shrugging before getting into his car. They had English together and they talked a little bit at a couple of the parties they attended. She put her board between her legs, keeping her eyes down on her fingers. He gently tapped the steering wheel as he drove her home. She was quietly giving him directions since he had never been to her house before.

When she got there, he smiled his bright smile her way. "Thanks, Steve." She spoke to him in a soft tone, smiling small.

He shrugged. "Not a problem. I'll see you in English." She nodded, getting out of his car. She stepped inside her house and it was dead silent. She was the only one home. She stepped downstairs and looked over at her painting again. She should just trash it instead of inviting him over. There was no way he wasn't going to make a move on her when they're all alone, well alone as they can be with five other people in the house.

She sighed and laid on her bed, running her hands over her face with a groan. How did this happen?