There was a small area where horses could be tied off and rest in the shade. A trough filled with water and a few scattered bales of hay also helped make the alcove perfect on such occasions. Usually this area was bustling on Sunday mornings as the entire town would make the weekly trip to receive penance. Such hypocrites they were, she thought to herself, they who were always so quick to judge others acting as though they were so saintly. The mere idea brought a scowl to her complexion while she retrieved her satchel. Shrugging the thoughts away and allowing her mind to drain she began the slow walk up the winding path that stretched up the central hill that displayed her destination.

The morning sun now began to bathe the sleepy town in a golden blanket, lifting away the last remnants of the previous night. A large weeping cherry tree took root beside the family resting place thus providing Lucia with the ideal place to sit and read with little to no distractions. A light breeze occasionally swayed the lush pink umbrella that stretched above her, causing a gentle shower of soft petals to rain down upon her. Lucia would simply brush them away from the pages unswayed as her eyes moved over the handwritten pages of her mother's old journal.

Her attention was drawn to a vibratious *crack* not too far from her. Carefully she closed the leather bound book and set it aside feeling her pulse quicken slightly. Is it him? She moved slowly as not to make a sound, crawling beneath the willow limbs. Lucia often caught a glimpse of the dark stranger that had infiltrated the town a few years ago, he fascinated her in a way no other had. Moving like a nimble cat stalking it's prey she shifted from knee to hand towards the continued cracking. Her eyes then widened, soaking in the sight that lay at the base of the hill.

Jarred McBride was a strapping man with a tanned muscular build and chestnut waves of untamed hair that reached to the base of his wide shoulders. No one really knew much about him aside from the fact that Father Abernathy had granted him food and shelter in return for care-taking work of the cathedral and cemetery. Jarred oft kept to himself, knowing all to well that the locals did not take kindly to outsiders. Lucia paid no mind to the rumors that flew about by bitter townsfolk, she herself was very aware of the hurtful comments they could toss about without merit or concern.

Now, as Lucia quietly spied at the bare chested man as he deftlly swung his hatchet, removing some overgrowth and stubborn vines that attempted to swallow another family mausoleum her fingers gathered the loose silken fabric from the folds of her skirts into small fists. She took a deep inhale and again slowly moved a little closer trying to gain a better vantage point when Dante lifted his head and watched her.

The dog, whom had been resting beside her at the base of the tree thought that Lucia was playing as she crawled and moved so sneakily. Before she knew what happened the shepherd lept up and pounced at his mistress, toppling her over through the curtain of fragrant limbs that had provided her hiding place. She let out a squeal as she and dog both tumbled some down the hill, landing upon her back as Dante straddled her with his massive paws lapping at her face tail wagging frantically.

"No Dante" She cried out while laughing, her hands failing to shield her face from the overly affectionate pooch. The more she tried to stop him the more playful he became. Her cry alarmed Jarred who quickly turned to assess the situation. Letting a great sigh escape realizing there was no danger or harm he too could not help but chuckle at the sight. Setting the hatchet down he promptly trotted up the hill smiling. His deep voice breaking the moment.

"Whoa boy, I think the lass needs a chance to breath." Clapped his strong hands together once and the dog, as if rehearsed, ceased his slobbering and stepped away and lay obediently in the damp grass beside Jarred. "Are you all right milady" His voice filled her ears with and her eyes gazed up at him. He knelt down beside her planting his hands about her tiny waist and lifted her effortlessly off the ground then setting her on her feet. Her face was but mere breaths away from his stone like chest filling her with a stirring from whence she knew not, though it was embarrassingly pleasurable. This last notion flooding her pale cheeks with a liquid crimson burn.