Wait...

"Was... was it by Will Shane?" she asked. The leader glanced downwards, answering Alana's question. "He's the only one who would have contact with you. Why would he ask you to keep things away from me?"

A spark of anger was rising in Alana. She respected Will more than anything, and she missed him constantly. But why would he keep important things away from her? Hadn't he trusted her?

"Will Shane had many reasons for the things he did," the leader said carefully. "Everything he did was to protect these caverns and its inhabitants. That includes you."

Alana crossed her arms, growing more and more frustrated.

"So he kept secrets to protect me?" she asked. "That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't he want me to know the truth?"

"He apparently did not," the leader said, beginning to turn away. "We cannot help you."

Alana scowled and took a step forward, uncrossing her arms.

"I need to know," she said. "I need to know everything I can, so I can learn more about these powers and use them to defend Slugterra."

The Shadow Clan leader finished turning, his back to Alana, but he didn't leave. With a deep breath, she continued.

"Slugterra is in danger. Energy is being corrupted and a man who thinks he can conquer the world is bent on doing just that. If it's something that can help me with my energy, or even... even something that doesn't, I still deserve to know," she argued. "I keep learning little bits and pieces about my life but I don't get the full story, and it's going to drive me crazy!"

The leader's shoulders seemed to droop ever so slightly.

"It was the wish of Will Shane that you didn't-"

"Will Shane is gone!"

Silence rang out across the clearing. Alana's hands were in fists, and if she didn't have gloves, her nails would be digging into her palms. Sadness welled up inside her as she repeated the words she dreaded.

"Will Shane... is gone. Maybe if he were here, then he could help me get through this, but he's not. He's not here anymore," she said, relaxing her hands. "He's not here anymore and I need this. Please."

The Shadow Clan leader stayed silent for a moment. Then he turned back towards Alana and looked down at her.

"Fine. If this is what you wish, then so be it," he said. "But let it be known this was by your own request."

What's that supposed to mean?

The leader stepped forward and bent down, peering at Alana's bandoleer, holding out a hand. Alana's eyes widened as Cipher jumped into it without any prompting.

"The memories of what happened to lead up to you living here were blocked by this Hypnogrif," the leader explained, taking a few steps back. "If you are hit with it, he will be able to release them."

Alana vaguely wondered what kind of memories they had to be for them to be completely blocked off, but she pushed her worries away. She needed this.

"Are you sure about this?" the leader asked as Cipher hopped into his tail.

"Yes," Alana said confidently, taking a deep breath and preparing to be slugged. The leader nodded. He stretched his tail back and flung it forward, releasing Cipher. He sped forward and transformed with a flash.

The slug's eyes were spinning pink and white, and as Alana looked into them, she felt all of her muscles relaxing at once. The pink and white got closer and closer as Cipher neared her, until it completely consumed her vision. It seemed to surround her, blocking out all her senses.