"Thanks, dad."

"No need to thank me. Why don't you get some sleep, yeah? You've got school tomorrow." He told her, ruffling her blonde hair before parting from the hug.

"Okay.. night dad. Love you."

"Love you too, Coco." Her dad said with a small smile before he left her bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

Cora walked over to her bed and climbed in, blinking back the tears that had come to her eyes, and trying to fall asleep.

"Coco!" Her father called down the hall in the morning, Cora groaning a bit as the sun reflected off the snow and beamed right through her window. "Time to wake up!" He called again.

"Yeah, yeah!"

Rubbing her eyes, she slowly sat up in bed and swung her legs over the edge. She felt exhausted, even though she didn't do much last night.

Cora went to the bathroom and has a quick shower before getting out and getting dressed. In about 20 minutes she was done in the bathroom, hair dried and her regular makeup done. She never put a ton of effort in, but she put in enough to look decent.

A couple of hours later she was at school, in Chemistry class beside Peter. He looked tired as well, but then again, he always did. 

"You tired too?" Cora asked him, both of them in there before class had started, along with some others.

Peter nodded, his eyes feeling heavy. "Yeah.. was up really late last night. Had to write a Spanish paper that I forgot about until like, eleven." He told her, even though it was a lie. She wasn't in his Spanish class, though, so hopefully, she wouldn't figure him out.

Cora was going to say something, but then the bell rang as the last few kids entered the classroom, Mr. Rivit beginning the lesson. Cora was zoned out for most of it, and she would've fallen asleep if Peter didn't nudge her on purpose every few minutes. When she first got moved to the spot next to him, they made an agreement to make sure the other one would stay awake. If they fell asleep, they knew Mr. Rivit would lose it.

At lunch, Cora and Michelle walked past Peter and Ned to sit on their end of the table. Peter's brown eyes followed Cora, hearing her mumble about something involving her dad before he went back to his conversation with Ned.

"I don't know.." Cora sighed quietly, sitting across from Michelle. "I know it's hard for him- and I know he's tried contacting her. She just won't talk to us." She told her best friend, the topic of the day being her mother.

"You guys really don't know why she left?" Michelle asked, just as upset as Cora. Cora was one of the few people that could break Michelle's usual stone-cold front. The fact that her best friend's mother left her husband and two daughters without explanation was terrible to her, and she actually felt bad for Cora.

The blonde shook her head, "no idea. It'll be 7 years on January 19th, so fair warning that I might not be here for that one day." She told Michelle, giving her a month's notice. "My Nana is always saying, '7 is a special number in the bible! Maybe she will be back after 7 years!', but you know Nana, she's not all there." She giggled a bit, getting her lunch out.

Michelle stifled a laugh at that. She knew Cora's Nana was ridiculously religious. One time at a school event in grade 8, when Michelle and Cora met, a boy kissed Cora's cheek and her grandmother washed her face with holy water, or at least claimed it was 'blessed by the priest!'. The 87-year-old woman did have dementia for about 4 years now, so who knows what she thought of it at the time.