Suddenly losing my appetite I disposed of the remainder of my food, placed my dish in the dishwasher and headed up stairs to get my backpack. Not paying attention to where I was going I ran straight into Brad.

"Sorry," I mumbled stepping around Brad to head to my room.

"You ok?" He asked and seemed really curious.

I was about to say fine but remembered what Alexander had told me in the office that day. "Not really. Are you busy right now?" I asked. I really didn't want to spend any time with Nick at all.

"All yours. What's up," He asked, giving me his full attention.

Now I felt stupid. I didn't usually run from things but as soon as I got to this place I have had feelings and emotions I haven't had in a long time and it was confusing me. Plus I was remembering things about my past that I thought I buried a long time ago. Nick seemed to be a steady reminder of that right now. "Ah, would you mind driving me into school? Just there I don't need a ride back. M1, I mean Tony didn't get much sleep last night so he is playing catch up now." When the hell did I start to ramble? Fuck I hated this! "Nevermind. It's all good. Forget I asked." I made my way to walk past him.

"No. No. It's no bother. Get your stuff and let's go." Brad said as he turned to walk me back to my room as if he was afraid I would take off. The thought had actually crossed my mind. Instead I grabbed my stuff and followed him to the back of the house avoiding everyone which I was extremely grateful for and jumped into a pickup truck which was on the other side of the house.

This time on the way to school I paid attention to where we were going. I figured it would take me about 45 minutes to walk. A little exercise was a good thing and thought I just might start doing that from now on. I have had to find my way to and from school by myself since 3rd grade. We made it to school faster than I thought but one good thing was that I realized if I cut through the woods that I could save a lot of time on my walk. Instead of getting detoured by the twist and turns of the roads. I thanked Brad and asked him to tell M1, well Tony, that I had a ride home so he wouldn't have to take the time out to come get me. Brad didn't look overly happy about that but agreed to pass the message for me anyways.

School was school with the exception of Nick trying to talk to me and me walking away before he had a chance to catch up. It helped that his slut of a girlfriend kept her claws in him everytime he tried to leave. I think she knew he wanted to talk to me and did not like that in the tiniest of bits. Her actions favoured me so I didn't care or put too much thought into it. The big problem was that we had gym class together and there was no way to avoid him. He was one out of a few guys able to keep up with me so out running him wouldn't work. I don't think I had ever been more relieved when I walked up to the change room with a note on the door stating due to an emergency gym class was cancelled.

Not wanting to waste any time I raced up to my locker, grabbed my books and was off school property within 15 minutes. I debated on just walking straight home but since I had been on a mission to avoid Nick I didn't eat lunch. A couple times I heard some kids talk about a diner, a pizzeria, and a cafe down the street from the school. Just thinking about pizza had my stomach growl in approval. So instead of heading left to the woods I walked down the sidewalk and turned right on the main road hoping I would find the pizza joint sooner rather than later.

As luck would have it I found the place after 20 minutes of walking down the main road. Looking in the window the place had a couple occupied tables but fairly empty. After taking a seat a sweet older woman took my order and said it would be around 20 minutes. She quickly returned with my drink and salad I ordered for an appetizer. I sat and enjoyed my alone time while finishing my salad and waited for the main course. I was still hungry but the growling had slowed down to a quiet rumble. True to her word the pizza arrived 20 minutes later. And let me tell you it was truly amazing. The crust cooked to the perfect golden brown and the cheese and sauce ratio was superb. I was in my own little heaven. Savering each and every bite had the time fly by as I finally finished.

Looking at the clock I realized that school had ended almost an hour ago and I should have been home by now. Paying my bill and thanking them for the world's best pizza I left with a full tummy and a smile on my face. The sun was warm and the traffic was slow. It was a beautiful day. Now to enjoy my walk home. Ok well not home. It was the place I would stay in till school was done and I could leave. Sure I was turning 18 in a couple months but I always promised myself I would finish high school. Well promised my dad.

The walk back to the high school was quick. The parking lot only had a few cars left in it which were probably the staff faculty. Heading right for the woods I took my time to enjoy the peacefulness that surrounded me. The trip home didn't take as long as I thought even though I was far from being in a hurry. Breaking through the tree line I headed straight for the front door. I was surprised I hadn't seen anyone outside, maybe it was dinner time already.