Chapter 1: Free!

"Ohhhhhhhh! Were late, late, late!" exclaimed the helper. He scurried about Genevieve's room, making sure things were in order for the day, "We have 20 maximum, 22 minutes! For your royal fitting, and then it's move, move, move, to your speech at the historical society!" he shouted.

Genevieve was fitted into her dress and nodded her head as he read off a long list. Silver Bells, Genevieve's cat was shocked to hear of all this. The helper continued as dressers proceeded to measure the princess.

"Off to that! We have to rush, and I mean rush, to the historical society!" He shouted again. As the dressers finished, Geneveive kindly thanked them and stepped off the stool she stood upon. The helper continued, "Then theres your math lessons, your geography lessons, your science lessons-" The list rang on and on, but Genevieve, tired of all the exeptions began to sing.

All my life I've always wanted, to have one day just for me...

Nothing to do, and for once, nowhere I need to be...
With no lessons, lords, or lunches, or to-do lists in the way...

No-one to say when to eat, or read, or leave, or stay!

That would be the day...

Somwhere across the village, Jessica worked long and hard finishing repairing a dress. She was tired and wiped the sweat off her brow, but Madame Mevia never allowed her to take breaks! She sang quietly to herself as she finished her work.

All my life I've always wanted, to have one day for myself...

Not waking up with a pile of work on every shelf!
With no hems in need of pressing, or no sleeves in disarray...

No wedding gown with a thousand stitches to chrochet!

And no debt to pay...

Jessica was suddenly interupted by another worker, Miss Cassie, she gasped when she heard the key in the door turn, "Madame Mevia!" she exclaimed with a gasp. She silently continued with her work, leaving Jessica to sing. Madame Mevia walked in, Jessica stopped.

"What do you think I'm running here? A music hall? Hm?" She snapped angrily. Jessica snapped back.

"I would've said a debters prison..." She chuckled to herself. Mevia frowned at the comment.

"Keep laughing! You'll be working for me, for another 37 years!" She said. Jessica sighed.

"But I've already paid off more than half!" She protested. Mevia shushed her and looked over at Cassie, who still carried on with work.

"But here's an intrest isn't there? Your parents shoud've thought of that before they borrowed so much..." she said, giving a mocking grin. Jessica's face heated with rage, her parents had died from poverty, no money, no food, except for her that was.

"They did it to feed me!" Jessica snapped. Mevia smiled and turned to leave.

"Their mistake..." She replied coldly. She gave the door a hard slam behind her as she left. With Mevia now gone, Jessica took another breath of relief and carried on.

What would it be like to be?

Free!

Free!

Free to try crazy things...

Free from endless I.O.Us...

Free to fly...

Free to sing...

And marry whom I choose...

Genevieve walked across her room to meet her mother Isa. Isa quickly frowned at her daughters choice of words.

"I'm so sorry my darling, but as you know, it is vital you marry King Matthew, it is the only way to take care of our people." Genevieve frowned, and sighed.

"I know, it's my duty..." She mumbled. The queen smiled when maid Stella brought another gift from the king.

"Oh look, another engagment gift!" She exclaimed happily clapping her hands. Genevieve was glad at least someone was happy, apart from her. She felt miserable. Isa smiled and placed the gift on a nearby table. She then left, Geneveive stared at the present, then continued.

You would think that I'm so lucky, that I have so many things...

I'm realizing that every present comes with strings...

Jessica hung up the now repaired dress and Cassie handed her another one to work on. She pushed her work aside and danced gracefully around the room.

Though I know I have so little, my determinations strong...

People wil gather around the world to hear my song!

Cassie interviend, singing along with her, "Can I come along?" She asked.

Genevieve twirled throught the halls, still singing her heart away.

Now I fear I'll never be...

Soon I will forever be...

Almost instantaniously, both girls both opened up their balcony doors, to free themselves from the craziness.

Free...

Free...

Genevieve walked out onto the balcony, and picked a rose from the tangling vines that ran along the edge. Jessica did the same with the coil that was wrapped around the rails.

I close my eyes and feel myself fly a thousand miles away...

I could take flight, but would it be right?

My conciounce tells me stay....

Genevieve held the rose tight, Jessica did the same. Both thought deeply about what they've done to get to this moment, to now.

I'll remain forever royal!

I'll repay my parent's debt!

Duty means doing the things your heart may well regret...

But I'll never stop believing!

She can never stop my schemes!

There's more to living than gloves and gowns, and threads and seams, in my dreams, I'll be free!