Chapter 1: Running

Start from the beginning

The man had given his word, but we didn't stop running for a wile. The boy was fater and quickly got ahead. "Stop" I wheezed, "I can't go any farther." I fell to the ground, wheezing. He stopped, but was only panting a little, incredible. This was the first time I really got a good look at him, he was, with black hair, dark skin, bright green brown eyes, and long features. He was thin, but had obvious muscles.

He looked at me confused. "What?" I ask, straitening up, I had finally regained my breath.

"How is it that you are already worn out?" Was his response.

I look at him and laugh a little, "How is it that you aren't?" Then I smiled, "My name is Alice, call me Ice." I put out my hand, hoping at least that sort of greeting had made it to where ever this was. It did, but not in the same way, he grasped my wrist instead.

"Salim. Are you called Ice for your pale skin?"

"Because of my eyes." I pointed to them. "Where are we?" I looked around, nothing looked familiar.

He nodded a little, "We are in the Sleepless Forest."

"Never heard of it. "It was a strange name for a real forest. Maybe I was in Africa? Salim's name, accent, and coloring pointed to that fact, but the surroundings were wrong.

The look on his face made it obvious that I should already know what this place was, "Where are you from?" he asks. "You're obviously not from anywhere I know of, you're dressed too weird, and your skin too pale."

"I'm from Washington state in the United States." he was confused, "You know, in the United States of America?" he was still confused, "One of the larges countries on planet Earth.

His still seemed confused, "Earth?"

Maybe he knew a different term for Earth? That happens, right? Even among people who spoke english? "Well, what do you call this planet?"

"This is Titus."

I nod, "Interesting, I've never heard it being called Titus before." There's a moon in the solar system called Titus, but Earth was never called Titus. The thought that I was on this moon crossed my mind, but I swept it away, calling myself foolish. Even if it were possible to telleport to another planet (or moon), the restof the planets and moons were too hostile for life.

Just then, something strange happened, the whole world seemed to slow down, and Salim's eyes lit up with fear. He grabed my arm and pulled me to the hollow in a tree. We sat here, scrunched together, waiting. "What's going on?" I asked, but he held his finger to his lips for silence. As he did, someone, or something passed by us. It was white, with strong shadows, everything around it seemed to fade and lose its colors. The shadows even seemed to become more gloomy. I felt more gloomy, like I was worthless, pointless, useless. The effect lingered, even after that thing was gone. Ten minutes later, everything was only just starting to go back to normal.

"What was that?" I asked, still feeling the worthlessness.

He looked at me with a similar look of uselessness, "That was a Soulear, they search the woods for humans in the area. If they find one, they suck the life out of it. They can only see in front of themselves, so the only way to avoid them, is to hide."

"Can't they sense you?"

"Sometimes, if they get close to death."

I shudder, "How often are they at that point?"

"Not as often as they should. That one was far too fat. Some places set people in their path so that they won't ever leave the woods. That's why this place is called the Sleepless Forest, if you sleep, you might never wake up in your own body."