Chapter 2

Two days after Emily Evans snapped at Potter and his gang, she already wanted to kill them again. After two days of peace, they disrupted it. They pranked her. It happened, as Emily was walking from the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom towards the Great Hall for lunch.

She always stayed behind after DADA classes to talk with Professor Merrythought about something she has read or the topic they were currently studying. Emily was fascinated by the subject and Professor Merrythought was the only person she could talk to that shared her love for it. All her other friends disliked DADA and Professor Merrythought. Yes, she was a strict teacher and yes, she did give a lot of homework, but Emily loved the subject so much, she didn't care.

As she was turning the corner, she bumped into Pettigrew who looked disheveled and guilty.

"Sorry," Emily muttered and started walking away. She heard Peter running after her and tapping her on the shoulder.

"You dropped this," he mumbled, giving her her favourite quill, which was coincidentally the only quill she used.

"Thanks." Emily said, stuffing the quill into the bag slung over her shoulder and hurried off to lunch.

After lunch, Emily, Jenna and Kara headed to Transfiguration. Out of the three, only Kara enjoyed the lesson. The other two kept whining about it the whole way to the class. Even though Jenna was pretty good in class, she still hated it. She claimed that Professor McGonagall didn't like her, although Emily couldn't see how. Jenna was probably one of McGonagall's favourite students. Kara kept rolling her eyes as the girls complained.

"Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you'll find a brain back there." Jenna joked. Kara tried to contain her laugh.

The girls sat at their usual desks and took out their quills and parchment. Hufflepuffs had joined Transfiguration lessons with the Gryffindors. It often annoyed them. Most Gryffindors were careless, lazy and kept interrupting the lesson. (Usually these Gryffindors were Potter's gang.) They thought they could do so, because McGonagall was their Head of House and she's never take away points from her own house. They were wrong.

As McGonagall spoke, Emily tried to note down what she was saying, but she couldn't keep hold of the pen. It glided on its own, scribbling on the parchment, writing words that could only be found in the Gibberish Dictionary. She quietly growled in frustration. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Black and Potter glance towards her, grinning like mad. Emily looked down at her parchment and tried to write again. She couldn't write anything that made sense. A few seconds later she gave up on trying to take notes. She started testing whether her quill could obey her in any way. Jenna and Kara kept glancing at Emily, confused looks plastered on their faces.

Emily tried drawing a flower, the quill drew a few wiggly lines on the scribbled page. She tried writing her name, the quill wrote a combination of random letters that looked uncomfortably similar to Muggle swear words. As soon as the lesson finished, Emily packed up her things and walked out of the class, frustrated. She could hear Potter's gang snickering behind her.

Emily rushed to the Hufflepuff common room before Potions started to grab a spare quill, but, out of annoyance and rush, she tapped the wrong barrel, causing herself to be drenched, head to toe, in vinegar. She dropped her wet bag full of wet books into the small puddle and lay down on the cold marble floor, because she was frustrated, tired and smelled of vinegar. She closed her eyes, wishing for death.