Most of us clapped for him and he thanked us in advance for our support.

"Do you have a running mate yet?" Ryder asked him.

"No, why?" said Joe. "Are you interested?"

"I think Ryder would make an excellent VP," Marley vouched for him.

"Why?" said Kitty. "The only things he and Sam, last year's VP, had in common were dyslexia and their girlfriend."

I blushed and glared at Kitty. 

"Seriously," said Bree. "Why is it that every year has to be ruled by guys or girls who know absolutely nothing?"

"Yeah," said Kitty, "who's running against you, Joe?"

"I am," Unique spoke up. We all turned to her, surprised.

"You weren't at the candidate meeting last week," said Joe. "Actually, I was the only one there."

"I was sick," Unique explained. "Anyway, I want to work to make McKinley a place that's equal for anyone and everyone. Regarless of age, gender, race, economic status..."

"I'll be your VP," Bree said, raising her hand up.

"You?" asked Unique. "You're one of the reasons McKinley isn't an equal place to begin with."

Most of the room agreed. "Okay, okay," Bree said, "so I haven't been super nice to everyone in the past... But I'm super popular and can get you a bunch of votes."

"I don't want to win like that," said Unique, shaking her head. "Sorry Bree, but I'm going in a different direction."

"What about me?" said Kitty, raising her hand. "After I gave up my dress for Tina at last year's prom, I sort of shed my mean girl image. For the most part at least."

"Actually..." Unique murmured, contemplating the possibility. "Yeah, you know what, sure. Kitty, you're on board!"

"Seriously?" said Bree.

"I actually wanted to ask John to be my running mate," said Joe, quieting everyone. John and Kitty looked at each other.

"Umm..." John said, looking back at Joe. "I don't know... Uh, why me?"

"Well, we're good friends," said Joe. "We're both seniors. And we're both-"

"Guys," said Kitty. She smiled at John, "You aren't going to beat the queen and me so I don't see any harm in a little friendly competition, John."

John thought about it for a second and then looked at Joe. "Yeah, sure, why not?" he said. "As long as I'm not expected to start stripping like Sam did last year, I don't see why not."

***

"I don't know why you're upset," said Kitty. "You've been talking about the fact that the Cheerios need to win more for the last I don't know how many months and now when I agree to run you're mad?"

"Yeah," Bree responded. "Because I wanted to run for this. I'm single, I'm trying to be nice, and I'm bored."

"Well, I'm sorry," Kitty told her. "It's just that I didn't see there being a chance that you'd change Unique's mind. So I took it."

"Can you guys just shut up?" I mumbled. "You've been fighting about this all week. Can we just come up with a number already?" We were at my place, after school, trying to come up with a good number to do for the legacy challenge. It was, of course, going to be connected to the presidential election, so we had wanted to help Kitty out but Bree changed her mind.

"I'm going home," said Bree, getting up and leaving.

"Not before I do," Kitty retorted, also standing and heading for the door.

"Okay, glad we had fun," I said from the living room as I heard the front door slam shut. I turned back to my laptop and continued to skim through my music. What song left a legacy... I thought to myself. No, not what song, what artist! There were plenty of musical royalty to choose from. Beyonce, Madonna, Christina, Michael, Prince... 

I began to excitedly look through my songs when I finally saw the perfect number. But then I realized that I had no use for it. It was a great song but who would I recommend it to? Joe and John? Unique and Kitty? 

I wasn't sure what campaign I was going to sign onto, if any, so I decided to wait it out. However, the next day the political platforms had been literally spread across the school. 

This was in the form of posters. Everywhere. Posters with my friends' faces on them. Everywhere.

I was staring at one of Unique and Kitty when I turned around and almost crashed into John.

"They really are going for that minority vote, huh?" said John as he read the poster. It read: VOTE ADAMS-WILDE FOR YOUR VOICE TO BE HEARD, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT BACKGROUND YOU COME FROM.

I looked at John for a second, surprised he had talked to me, and walked away. There was no way we'd be having a conversation. Finally, I bumped into Joe and I was able to ask what I would've asked John had I felt the need to speak to him directly.

"Hey," I said as he smiled at me. "I have a quick question."

"What's up?" he asked.

"I was just wondering," I began, "why should vote for you?"

And that was the question that sparked it all.