Dreamwalkers

Elle sighed in frustration. It was supposed to be over. The nightmare was supposed to be over! But she was still here. Why was she still here?! Oh, that was right, her own bloody curiosity. She was free to go, Carmilla's sacrifice having opened the doors of death, but now Elle was too afraid to leave. She still didn't want to die and some other strange magic type decided to rear its big ugly head at her and her curiosity wound itself up. Hard. What was driving her so crazy? Well, shortly after Carmilla and her friends fled her schloss, Elle found a little book. It was the very same one of Carmilla's friends had used to help initiate the ceremony that freed Elle and every other ghost trapped here by Carmilla. That book had been left behind by Carmilla and company in their haste to leave. What Elle found in that book was quite fascinating. For all of her hard work, Elle hadn't translated too much of the old tome, but that friend of Carmilla's managed to create a key that pretty much decoded it all for Elle. She took the time to read the book in full and ended up reading about people called Dreamwalkers.

Dreamwalkers, as the name entailed, were people with the power to walk in the dreams of others. They were used by the ancient gods as messengers and people who crossed boundaries that other beings could not. The reason Elle found these people so fascinating was because they had some of the same skills Elle herself already possessed. In time, she began to realize that Dreamwalkers could be born or made, Elle was one of the few people who still fell into the former category. Of course, she was no stranger to odd dreams, but she had always attributed it to some other divine or supernatural force, never once dreaming that it might've been her all along. It didn't help, either, that the first strange dream she ever had was based around Carmilla. It happened when she was six and those strange dreams of the alluring vampire and her feline double would come and go as the years passed. Once Elle realized what Carmilla truly was, she attributed the dreams to Carmilla, thinking that only a vampire would've had the power to do something so weird and amazing. Then, even after Elle began to walk in dreams herself, she still blamed it on Carmilla because the only dreams she visited were the dreams of other girls Carmilla was trying to seduce.

According to this book, though, Elle was actually the one to blame. It had only been dumb luck that Carmilla was the star of every bad dream she ever had. In truth, Elle had created those dreams and walked in them herself. It hadn't been Carmilla who contacted her. It had been her who contacted Carmilla. As insane as it sounded, though, it made sense the more Elle read about it. Even when she was directly dragging Laura into the dreamworld and tormenting her by distorting reality, Elle still thought it had been some other supernatural force but she finally began to see just what she, as her own person, was capable of.

So she was a Dreamwalker. Now what? Well, according to the book, that made her a potential servant to the gods. Gods? Elle had been raised a devout Christian but, after her fall from Carmilla into the Pit where the Deep One resided, Elle lost her faith just like she lost everything else. For the longest time, she believed in no deity or natural law. Instead, she believed only in the concept of "kill or be killed, all else be chuffed". There was no God as far as she was concerned, or else he would've have let all this happen. But now this book was suggesting that the Sumerian gods were the correct ones and that they were very real indeed.

"This book's got to be crazy!" the ghost sighed as she curled up in her library, still trying to decipher the last few pages. It was the first time in 150 years that she had been in the library without reliving the exact moment she and Carmilla betrayed each other. She didn't care, though, because she was far too invested in trying to understand the laws of nature as written by this book. So the Sumerian gods were real? That seemed impossible! But it was coming from the same book that pretty much was able to prove that she was in fact a Dreamwalker. So maybe there was some levity to all of this?