Chapter Twenty-Nine

Zacznij od początku

She strolls out of the room.

Brinn’s mouth hangs open, “What was thatall about?”

Tears spring up in Piper’s eyes again. Her voice shakes, “I have no idea. I’m so sorry, I didn’t know that it was bothering everyone so much.”

I shake my head, “Oh no, it wasn’t bothering me. I was glad you took the pressure of answering most of the questions.

Canton uncomfortably stands up. Out of everyone here, Canton knows Bridget the best. What does Canton think? Canton shifts from foot to foot, “I’ll go find her, make sure she doesn’t give away anything more. I’ll try to cool her down a bit…okay?”

We all nod and he leaves the room as well.

Brinn says, “She should have just said something, she didn’t need to blow up on Piper like that. But, what she did while Spara was in here…We might have been able to hide the Taser or something.”

I apologize, “I’m sorry for giving away the Taser. I may have put us all at risk by saying that.”

Piper brushes it aside, “Oh, I don’t think it’s your fault. You were defending me and you were angry. It’s difficult to keep what you say under control when someone’s accusing you of something. Besides, we probably wouldn’t have been able to keep it a secret for very long.”

Brinn adds, “If it’s anybody’s fault, it’s Bridget’s. She’s the one who randomly decided to start an argument.”

I sigh, “We need each other’s support and trust to survive. What if we are kicked out of the village?”

Brinn frowns, “You think they would do that? Just force us to leave?”

 “They had no problem forcing knives to our throats.”

Piper says, “But they’d at least give us our supplies back, right?”

 “They might, but they might not.”

Brinn questions, “Do you think that’s what Spara and Nikolas have been arguing about? Whether we should stay or leave?”

I nod my head.

Brinn softly says, “Do you ever wonder if it would have been better to have just been obedient and stayed in the Complex? I mean, it feels likes we’ve accomplished nothing, except get ourselves into complicated situations.”

“We escaped the Complex,” I offer.

Brinn nods, but argues, “But, that doesn’t help anybody. It doesn’t even help us. We aren’t helping the other kids still trapped inside the Complex. We aren’t at least going them hope or something.”

Piper says, “Miranda is telling people our story.”

Brinn shrugs, “What if no one even believes her? What if they all think she’s crazy?”

What have we done? We’ve run away. That’s what we’ve done. We’ve fled and hide. Like cowards.

The door slides open. I lift my head, expecting to see Canton and Bridget. Instead, James walks into the room, looking confused and slightly worried.

He asks, “Did I just a-see two of ya run past me? Where’s be the others?”

I just shrug, “I don’t know.”

James runs a hand through his hair, “Ya be supposed ta a-stay in this buildin’.”

Piper lies, “They had to go to the bathroom. They were looking for you to see if they could go to the Toilets and if not, where they should go.”