A Glancing Future

Comincia dall'inizio

        "Are you sure you want to do that? 'Cuz the way my day went, I'm gonna need about ten of these babies." 

       He smirked at me. 

        "I'm not in a 'save the day' kind of mood. Though, I think I'd like to make an exception for you." 

        I grinned at him and he blinked in surprise. Then his eyes warmed with an emotion I barely had time to recognize. Lust. He wanted me. God, I wanted him. 

        "I appreciate the exception. When do you get off? Work, I mean!" 

        Crap. I blushed at my question. He laughed so hard I thought he was going to fall off his stool. I really need to start thinking before I talk. 

        "I got off around twenty minutes ago. I was on my way home when I saw you. You looked like you could use some company." 

        "I could. Shitty day, maybe you could cheer me up." 

        His eyes took on a glint. I made a mental note to myself that he liked a challenge. I would jump him right here and now but I would have to have another three drinks before I even got the courage to casually touch him. 

        He looked down at my shirt and then his eyes appreciatively lowered again. 

        "I love that color on you. It takes me back to your eyes. Gorgeous." 

        I looked at him like he was crazy and blinked silently. 

        "Thanks." 

        I downed the shot in one gulp and then motioned for the bartender to fill me up when he had the chance. 

        "You aren't used to this are you?" 

        " Used to what?" 

        "Being hit on." 

        I chuckled at that. 

        "I'm used to being hit on. What I'm not used to is a guy who can actually pull it off." 

        "Yeah I bet. That guy that was hitting on you before I walked up? He is a regular here and every time he comes in, he always strikes out. I have to admire the guy for having the courage to continue." 

        "Yeah you can, unless you are the one he's hitting on." 

        He chuckled at me. 

        "He has it on me before. He started the conversation with 'Hey, Stranger.'" 

        "If I had a dollar for very time you said that!" 

        "How much money would you have?" 

        I chuckled. 

        "Well, I'd probably have a dollar, but if we count how many guys have used that line on me, it'd probably be at least twenty-five bucks." 

        He and I laughed together. We talked companionably for another hour, drinking and laughing. 

        It hit around midnight when I realized that I should head back to the city. 

        "Shit. I have to get going." 

        "How far have you got to drive?" 

        I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. I dropped several twenties on the bar and stood up. 

        "I've got to drive to back to the city." 

        He just stared at me like I was crazy. I shifted on my feet uncomfortably, waiting for the man to say okay. 

        "You're coming back to my place." 

        I raised my eyebrow at that. 

        "I promise that I won't touch you unless you beg for it." 

        I smirked at that. 

        "You promise?" 

        "Would I lie to you?" 

        I grinned at that. 

        "I don't know you that well, do I?" 

        He stood there dazed for a second before he replied. 

        "No you don't, but you trust me better than that guy that was hitting on you before I saved you." 

        "You didn't save me." 

        He smirked. 

        "He was on his way walking back to you when you were staring at your drink like a loner." 

        I huffed at him.  

        "Fine, but you sleep on the sofa." 

        He laughed and only nodded his head. We walked out and he stopped to talk to the person letting people in. 

        "I'm leaving so you have to close, okay Mark?" 

        "Yeah, man. Go have your fun, dude." 

        Samuel shook his head at his friend and walked away, towing me behind him.  

         "Who was that, Sam?" 

         "He was the other owner of the bar. He likes more hands on activity than I do. I prefer to sit in my office and do paper work than handle the drunk men who try to hit on me." 

        I laughed at him. 

        "Maybe I should do what you do and sit in my office. Wait, I've done that for eight years." 

        He glanced at me and continued walking. 

        "You've been hiding?" 

        I shook my head at him, feeling the alcohol swimming in my head. Finally. 

        "I haven't been hiding, exactly. My boss is homophobic. I've had to keep being gay a secret because I couldn't risk getting fired. My mom knows and accepts me. To me that is the only thing that matters." 

        Samuel stopped and looked at me. He stepped close to me and cupped my cheek. He spoke to me in a soft voice, like he was afraid I was going to run away. 

        "You are an extremely brave man. When I grow up, I want to be just like you. Just as brave, just as handsome and just as lovable." 

        I smiled at him. 

        "How old are you?" 

        "I'm twenty-eight." 

        I laughed obscenely loud. 

        "I'm thirty, you jackass. I'm not old." 

        He smiled at me. 

        "I know that. I've had an eye on you since the first time you walked into my bar." 

        I smiled at him. 

        "I know. I've had an eye on you since the first time I walked in your bar." 

        He bent down an inch and kissed me. 

        His mouth was soft and firm. He coaxed my lips open by running his tongue on my bottom lip. Our tongues met with a clash, both of us fighting for dominance. He tugged on my hair and I pulled on his hips, trying to get even closer. We pulled away, our breathing ragged. 

        "I'm glad that I finally found you, David." 

        I smiled at the sound of my name from his lips. 

        "I'm glad that you finally caught me, Samuel."