chapter thirtytwo

Start from the beginning

       "Zeus sent me to help you adjust to this new lifestyle. You must be warned, Artemis, humans are much different than us."

       She mentally winced when he said 'than us' because she is no longer an us. She is a them.

       "I know this. I was taught lessons of humans as a child like everyone else in Olympus."

       "There are still things that are not taught by the gods. Things that are otherworldly to us. You know how humans don't know what goes on in Olympus?" She nods. "Well, that goes either way. You can only experience certain..leisures with your own eyes."

       "Yeah, I get that but I'm entirely capable of figuring out this life on my own." She waves her arms in the air in a gesture of the area around her. "It can't be much harder than Olympus," she grins.

        Hermes purses his lips as if saying he knows more than she. Maybe so. But Artemis is good at settling in and migrating into different worlds and groups. If she can handle Zeus' wrath and Hades', then she can handle a couple New Yorkers. Knowing that didn't help the nervous bubbles that continuously popped in her lungs, telling her how crazy this was, to run back home with Hermes, and to beg Apollo for mercy.

     "Artemis. Art, if I may? Humans are a different species than you've ever came upon. Their selfish and greedy and only think of themselves deeply. It's just their nature."

       She scoffs, "Not like Olympians are any better!"

     "But they are. They are in all the ways that matter."

       "That doesn't even make sense," she groaned. Hermes may only want to help but all he was accomplishing was irritation.

        Hermes clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth, pausing. "What I'm trying to say is us gods don't know the same values as humans. Our responsibilities are what our titles explain. Aphrodite, she may be vain and cruel, but that's only because she's only known to be cruel and vain. The goddess of beauty, that name should explain it all. Humans, though..they have far more choices than us. They aren't given a title at birth, Art. They choose what title stains them."

      Artemis ponders what that must be like. Maybe if she was born human she wouldn't be able to shoot as well. Or be as appreciative of nature and animals as she is. That's an Artemis she never wanted to see. She loved living outdoors and shooting arrows at bark. It's what made her her. But she didn't necessarily choose that life. Hermes is right. At birth Artemis was told to be the protector of the forest and wildlife. To preserve life. The goddess of the hunt is Artemis and will forever be Artemis. She just may not have the same abilities.

     "Now, come on. Let's go find a nice restaurant to dine in."

        She thought he'd never ask. Maybe he heard her stomach that wouldn't stop grumbling. Or the excessive amount of times she's licked her lips since they landed. Water sounded incredibly good to Artemis just about now.

     Artemis looked around the wooden stapled four walled restaurant. Cold metal tables crowded all throughout with people sitting and talking and laughing. Smiling and enjoying. She felt a ting of envy as she watched a baby giggle as her mom played with her tiny fingers. Everyone seemed to be doused in significant amount of happiness. She wanted that.

       A cloud of sadness washed away the envy and then she was just angry. Adonis' smiling face swarmed her vision and all she could see was his face. His dimples. His golden hair. She could only hear his laugh, a beautiful octave orchestrated only by the finest angels. His touch that sent flames that could light up an entire planet. Adonis. Adonis. Adonis.

It felt like an earthquake shook her insides and made everything twist and turn. Suddenly the thirst she bent on filling didn't feel so important.

When Hermes senses the uneasy turmoil rising inside Artemis, he places his palm gently against her knuckles. Her hand stiffens but he either doesn't care or doesn't notice.

"I know it's hard to lose someone. Especially someone you love so deeply..but Adonis wouldn't want you to cry over his death. He went to great lengths to make sure you lived. And to live you must smile and feel hopeful of future endeavors. Wouldn't you agree?"

She let out a deep breath, diverting her eyes to the booth table they sat at. She traced small circles with her free hand against her thigh. Hades made sure she was dressed in regular clothings. Uncomfortable denim jeans and a white t-shirt. He didn't want her to be too conspicuous for safety measures.

"I suppose you're right," she reluctantly replied. It's not that she thought he was wrong, but part of her didn't want to believe what he was saying was true. She understood very well that Adonis died so she could live. But that doesn't mean she has to be Happy Hailey 24/7. Artemis hates those kind anyways.

Hermes chuckles, "I know I'm right, dear." He offers her a small smile, gripping her hand in his. "The majority of Olympus thought very low of Adonis. They called him selfish and useless. But he fought to break those barriers. Fought to make more of himself because he knew he was more than just the title he was born into. And you know damn well that he died true to that wish. He died a hero and that is what he'll be known as. You should be grateful."

She brought her head up so fast Hermes wouldn't of been surprised if her neck snapped. Her eyes wild and wide. She pointed a finger at him. "Don't ever call me ungrateful. I am incredibly grateful. I know more than anyone that he died for me to live, okay? I know that! And I am so thankful for his sacrifice. Really, I am. But, still. That arrow was meant for me! I should be dead right now and he should be here. He should be able to live this life! This is what he wanted, not me!" Her chest rose rapidly and her heart escalated to an inhuman rate. Tears splash down her cheeks and rain-fall over her neck.

Hermes purses his lips, pulling his hand away softly to which she was holding on at a deathly grip. "I'm very sorry I upset you."

Wiping away her tears, she sat back in her seat. The humans were curios things, their eyes set looking between Hermes and her. It made her feel uneasy and tense. She gripped the water she ordered and sucked on the straw with unnecessary bite.

"Can we just stop talking about him? Please?" She begged, face blush.

For a moment, Hermes paused. He didn't want to make her even angrier or sadder, but he also didn't want her to push the subject away. To remember a loss-loved one is much better than to forget.

"For now." Is what he settles on.

She rolls her eyes with a huff. "Once we finish eating..could you teach me things about this life?" Her voice quiet, like it took everything in her to ask for help.

He smiles at her, "Of course."