chapter eighteen

Mulai dari awal

"Get on with it, then." Adonis accepted, clamping his eyes shut tightly. Ready to accommodate his fate. That's just it, though, fate is unavoidable yet so much take detours in order to drawl it out. Just live that one last minute. It doesn't work that way, fate. A funny thing it is, but it's real and it affects everyone.

This was Adonis'.

A gust of wind brushed against Adonis' tiny waves of hair. The tendrils tickle his neck but the need to scratch is nothing compared to the shivering that's rattling every last bone. He inhaled sharply, a finger touches his neck, the slight rub of it digging in, close to drawing blood—

"Stop!" Artemis yelled, her hand still pressed against her heaving chest. Her eyes darting between the two gods in front of her. A soft innocent plead bleeding from her irises.

Adonis' eyes shot open, his head swiftly looking in the direction of Artemis' voice. His heart pounced incessantly. He blinked. Again. That girl didn't know when to stop. He'd thank her one day.

Hades' claws retract, but the other hand kept the wrap around Adonis' own hands. His attention though is intently faced to Artemis. The brave soul intrigued him. He wanted to know why she'd risk her own life her another. Most gods and goddesses in Olympus were selfish and did things only for their own self needs. Artemis held no gain here.

"Why?" He asked.

Artemis recoiled for a second. Clearly not expecting either boys to of heard her. Much less to hear a response. She gulped, gathering her courage filled shield,

"Persephone..she's being selfish!" she paused, trying to see what his reaction would be but he only blinked, "Why can't you be enough? She must think that she needs more. It's arrogant of her to ask you to share!"

Hades scoffed, "Of course I'm enough!" He snapped. Subconsciously his hold on Adonis' hands tightened. But the young god didn't even notice. He was too focused on this outstanding goddess in front of him. He couldn't even find the words to represent how much this all meant to him. She was crazy but a good crazy.

     "Then what exactly is she seeking from Adonis? Huh?" Artemis asked, ignoring the shakiness of her voice.

     "She just needs it to be even. The bad and the good."

     "Oh. So, what? That means you're the bad?" She laughed dryly at the implication. "The one you love thinks lowly of you and you give her satisfaction and excuses to her acts. That's not love."

     "You don't know a thing about Seph!" He snarled, stepping up and off of Adonis. His fists clenching angrily, eyes blazing in Artemis' direction.

    In the corner of her eye, Artemis could see Adonis stretching his limbs and slowly standing up. She almost didn't note herself sighing in relief at the sight. Almost.

    "She cares about me. And she loves me. Adonis is merely there for emotional support." Hades explained like he was trying to make himself believe.

     "Why can't you provide her that support? None of this is making sense. If I was Persephone, I wouldn't need anyone more than you..because I would love you. When you love someone, and when it's real, you only love them. Y'know..in that way of love. True love." She trailed off, her eyes glancing at Adonis briefly.