XXXVII. Brother Bonding

Start from the beginning

"So I won't be wedding her?" He asked tentatively. Myranda would be pleased, he thought secretly.

"I haven't decided that yet. When she arrives anyway we'll let her think that you are, and then we'll use her as a bargaining chip for the Bua girl. If she loved Robb Stark half as much as she let on, she won't let his sister be tortured, raped or killed. And if the Stark boy is with her again, he won't either."

"So what's our next plan of action?"

"We have to show them exactly how we deal with traitors to the crown."

-

Jon

Stannis Baratheon was a serious man, Jon Snow could tell that from one look at him.

He was middle aged, with a thinning tuft of hair atop his head indicating so. His face bore lines that showed his many years, but there were no laughter lines to be sure. Jon doubted the man ever laughed.

When he reached the top of the wall where Stannis stood awaiting him, he turned slowly to look at him. Jon hated to admit he was half-intimidated by him.

"Your grace," Lady Melisandre spoke to get his attention, "the bastard of Winterfell."

What a lovely way to be introduced, Jon thought bitterly.

He knelt down immediately, knowing better than to piss off Stannis Baratheon - a man with a legitimate claim to the throne. He stood when Stannis gestured for him to, and stilled as Stannis remarked upon him.

"You know who rules at Winterfell now?" He began, not one for greetings.

"Roose Bolton," Jon replied, a sneer in his words. Stannis hummed in response.

"A traitor who plunged a dagger in Robb Stark," as if Jon needed a reminder. "Don't you want to avenge him?"

"I want a great many things, your grace," Jon sighed, "but I'm a sworn brother of the night's watch now."

"I will take back the North from the thieves that have stole it," Stannis promised, "Tywin Lannister is dead, he can't protect them now. I shall mount Roose Bolton's head on a spike. But if I'm to take Winterfell, I need more men."

And there it was, Jon realised, the true reason for his visit.

"The men of the night's watch are sworn to take no part-"

"I'm not talking about the damned Night's Watch," he huffed, a small smirk playing with the corners of his mouth, "I'm talking about Fianna Bua."

Jon's lips parted in surprise at his response. Stannis began to walk back towards the lift, not caring to elaborate leaving Jon to rush after him.

"Your grace," he began, his words forceful, "you want Queen Fianna's men to march in your army?"

"Her and her men just took down a stronghold that hasn't been touched in a thousand years. Her people are loyal to her, they see her as a Stark and she is one of your own. If she pledges fealty to me, I will name her Wardenness of the North and pardon her and her men of any treasonous acts of war."