Story 4 - Nightmares ch3

Începe de la început

Finally Clint presents their destination. Steve doesn't note its name, for he didn't care for coming to bars anyway, unless it's a special occasion like it is now. Entering the pub, the team approaches the bar, announcing who's birthday it is rather loudly. Steve sits a few seats away from the group and asks a different barkeep just for a coke. To his surprise, Bruce sits beside him and asks for a water.

"Figure I'll sit over here with my sober friend." He says softly, taking his glass from the barkeep.

"I'll drink to that," Steve can't help but smile as his raises his glass. They clink softly. Meanwhile there is a rather loud group of beer bottles hitting each other. The Captain grins at the sight of Bucky in the group. The four collectively down their first bottle and immediately demand another. Bruce chuckles mildly, sipping his water.

"How do you handle hanging around that clown all the time?" Steve asks, eyeing Tony who's acting like a fool, as usual.

"He's not so bad one on one."

"Are you sure? I've never had a good one on one conversation with him." The Captain says this a bit bitterly. He recalls a time they had a private discussion about Bucky. Tony had demanded Bucky try and access himself as the Winter Soldier for a way have him lead them straight to Hydra. It came no surprise that Steve would vehemently disagree with this idea, and yet Tony insisted anyway. The end result was a near full on brawl, though technically they each had a legitimate point with good intentions. It was Natasha who broke them up (it was always Natasha who broke up the internal fights). She pulled the two apart and yelled at Tony to stop being so pig-headed and told Steve to not let himself get so hot-headed. Like a mother, she made them apologize to each other, later muttering often about how men are children and will never get it together.

"I guess it depends on his mood. He might get a little rowdy tonight though. They all will." Bruce turns to view the group taking on another round.

"It's kind of nice not being able to get drunk." Steve comments, viewing the group as well. He notices Bucky is starting to loosen up, smiling even, "But it has its drawbacks."

"I hear ya," Bruce looks down at his hands, which are palm up, "It would be nice to loosen up a little." he closes his fists.

"Sorry," Steve replies, taking a gulp of coke. The group besides them laughs at something Clint said. Bruce stays silent beside the Captain.

After a half hour of idle chatter and merry drinking rolls on by, a new customer smashes through the doors.

"Greetings Midgardians!" A voice booms. The four drunkards and the two sober men look up to see Thor, arms up and a grin painted on his bearded face.

"Thor!" Clint shouts loud enough for the entire block to hear. Not that Thor was much quieter. He approaches the group, slapping a large hand on Steve's back, making him spit out his drink, and a gentle hand on Bruce's shoulder.

"Why was he so much more gentle on you?" Steve's nearly choking from the force.

"Because the other guy wouldn't like it," he replies, a sly grin on his face.

"Hello my fellow friends," Thor pulls in the entire group for a hug. Bucky makes a face, trying to duck out of it; Tony spills his beer on Nat; Nat hisses and kicks him in the leg, which causes Tony to fall onto Clint, which also causes Clint to spill his beer.

"Dammit Tony! You made us spill our drinks!" Clint's voice is slurring a bit.

"Jesus, how many have they had?" Steve mutters.

"I lost count," Bruce replies.

"Another round! With an extra pint for me!" Thor's voice booms again. They all cheer as Steve and Bruce watch. Steve catches eye contact with Bucky, who smiles wider and nods his way. The Captain returns the smile, looking down at his own hands, which are gripping his glass.