The Beginning

Gavin let out a sigh as he stared at the computer screen in front of him. It wasn’t that slow motion editing was difficult for him; he already had years of experience. But the work was so tedious!

He lost focus as he heard the door behind him open. In walked his coworker and roommate, Ray Narvaez, Jr. “How’s the editing going, Mr. Free?” Ray joked as he handed Gavin an unopened Red Bull and pulled up a chair next to him.

Gavin groaned in response. “I’m so bored! Editing is the absolute worst!” he complained in a British accent.

Ray merely shrugged. “Hey, working in the editing industry was your idea. I’m just lucky you had enough experience to get both of us hired.” The native New Yorker looked at his friend and laughed when he saw that Gavin was pouting. “We don’t have to work together, you know. If you want a different job, go find one.” He suggested once he managed to stop himself from laughing.

Gavin replied. “I know. It’s just more convenient this way, innit? In case things come up.” Ray nodded, knowing what Gavin was referring to. Gavin turned his attention back to the monitor, dismayed at his lack of progress. “You on break now?” the Brit asked casually as he continued to work.

“Yep. I thought I’d see how your editing project was going.” Ray took a moment to squint at Gavin’s screen, and saw that the editing process was barely halfway done. “Oh, you’re a little farther than I expected, actually.”

Gavin put a hand to his face in frustration. “I’m never gonna finish this. It’s never over, Ray, it never ends!”

Holding back another round of laughter, Ray put a hand on Gavin’s shoulder in an attempt to be sympathetic. “At least you’ll always have a job to do.” Gavin let out an irritated squawk, and realizing that he was only making things worse, Ray laughed and removed his hand from the Brit’s shoulder. “Sorry. I tried.” Ray chuckled.

Gavin took his hand away from his face and fixed Ray with an annoyed stare. “Gee, thanks a lot, Ray.” He replied in sarcasm.

Just then, Ray’s phone buzzed in his pocket. Ray’s eyebrows raised slightly when he saw the number, causing Gavin to lean forward in his seat in an attempt to hear what was being said on the other line. Ray’s expression could only mean one thing, and right away Gavin knew who it was.

After listening intently to the speaker, Ray looked at Gavin and nodded as he stood up. “We’ll be there ASAP, sir.” The Puerto Rican replied in a serious tone.

That was Gavin’s cue. He immediately saved and exited the editing program he was working on and powered down his computer. Ray hung up on the call and shut the door to Gavin’s office.

Moments later, X-Ray and Vav emerged from Gavin’s office window, dropping onto the ground with a little difficulty.

“Why did we change in your office? It was dumb. Now we have to sneak out the window like criminals!” X-Ray complained as his feet met the ground below.

“Don’t start with me when you were the one who closed the door and started getting undressed!” Vav shot back in indignation. “Where are we going, anyway? I swear, if we have to take a bus again, looking like this…”

X-Ray interrupted his partner. “It’s like two blocks away, not far this time. It’s a hostage situation, so we have to check in with Captain Whirrel, then sneak in slo-mo style.”

Vav sighed. “So I’m going to have to go in alone, aren’t I?”

X-Ray shrugged. “Or you could just wait for me to bust my way in and jeopardize the hostages. There might be a way for me to slip in if I can jam the security cameras. I’m just worried that this guy will start shooting once the cameras go down.”