Chapter 10 - Fortune

Start from the beginning

I sluggishly got up and saw my bedside clock flashing 3:48AM. The date was 1st of January.

Letting out another groan, I went out of the room as I rubbed the back of my head. I went out to use the toilet and as I was doing my business, I heard a faint noise that made me all tingly.

"W-What the---------- The f-faucet?"

I was listening to the faint sound of it but how come the faucet turned on when I was supposed to be all alone?

My gulp was audible and my skin hair was starting to stand up. After flushing, I slowly got out of the cubicle, looking so warily around me, and found out that there was no faucet running. However, the sound of it was still there.

Cowardly, I sprung out of the toilet and noticed that the lights of the boys' toilet was on, then off and was turned on once again. Getting so spooked, I tried to ran my way back to the safety of my room, but I was petrified, especially after the lights went off once again.

A figure went out of the boys' toilet and I was shaking uncontrollably, making me fall down on the ground.

"Aaahhhh----------"

My scream was immediately muffled with two big hands.

"Ssh, ssh! Keep it down, f/n-chan. It's me," he tried to calm me down and I was starting to do just that when I recognized his familiar voice.

Taking his hands off me, still on his knees to look directly at me, I told him, "Satori, you scared the shit out of me! I thought you were a ghost!"

He laughed at me. "Seriously? That's the first thing you say to me this year?I'm hurt, f/n-chan!"

"Well, I almost had a heart attack!" I retorted.

Offering his hand, the middle blocker asked, "Can you stand up?"

"Yeah," I replied as I took his hand.

As we both slowly got up, he grabbed my shoulder with his free hand to aid more support. Leaning in, he blew on my ear and it brought shiver down to my spine.

"Satori!" I slightly hit him and he just laughed.

"Anyway, you going back to sleep?" he asked as we started walking the hallway.

"Nah. I'm too wide awake to go back to sleep right now, thanks to you," I told him.

"Then, wanna come with me?"

"Where?" I asked him and the redhead just raised his eyebrow. "Right... The shrine..." I answered my own question.

"You'll come with me or not?"

Grinning widely, I happily responded, "Of course, I will!"

It took a while before we set out. The shrine was a bit far from the dorm but the two of us decided to walk our way there. We were not in a rush. We leisurely took our time, feeling the New Year breeze creeping on our skins.

Even before we reached the torii gate of the shrine, the volume of people was already massive.

"Wow... So many people..." I said as I kept bumping over the crowd.

I noticed how the redhead wrapped his arm over my shoulder, pulling me closer to him as we walked through the sea of people. Reaching the altar, we both made our respective prayers. Afterwhich, we got our fortune told to us by drawing omikuji.

I gasped as I looked at my fortune. "Daikichi! Man, I should go and buy some lottery tickets!" I was so happy that I got an excellent luck: the greatest blessing. "How 'bout you, Satori?"