"You sure we have to eat first?" I asked softly, continuing to nibble at her.

"Yes," she answered breathlessly. "Besides, the anticipation will only make things more fun later on." Flattening her hands against my chest, she pushed at me slightly and I reluctantly released her. "Have a seat while I get the food, but no peeking at your present."

"Okay." I was perplexed by her gift. It looked like a jewelry box, but I couldn't imagine what kind of jewelry she would've bought me. "What's for dinner?" I called as she disappeared back into the house.

Reappearing a few moments later, she was holding a pizza box. "Well, I hope you'll forgive me. The hearts took a little longer than expected and I ran out of time. But, I think you will still enjoy this." She opened the box, revealing a heart-shaped pizza with pepperoni spelling out the word LOVE.

I chuckled. "This is perfect! They made it this way for you?"

She nodded. "Yep. They actually had. A Valentine's Day special going on. Heart shaped pizza and garlic bread. I thought it looked cute, so I ordered both and made a salad to go with it. If you want to dish us up a piece, I'll go get the other stuff."

Taking the box from her, I proceeded to do as she asked. She returned shortly with the bread, salad, and a bottle of sparkling cider.

"What's the matter?" I teased. "Valentine's Day not worthy of wine?"

Smiling sweetly, she shook her head as she handed me the bottle to open and began to serve the rest of our food. "Actually, I figured this would settle a little bitter on my queasy stomach."

Instantly, I felt like an idiot. "Are you still not feeling well? Here, sit down and let me take care of this."

She laughed. "You're always so chivalrous. I love it." Bending down, she lightly kissed my forehead, straightening up before I could grab her, and moved to sit in her chair. "I'm fine, really. I just want to enjoy tonight with you. And technically, as you do often point out, I'm not old enough to drink."

Scanning her features for any sign of distress, I watched as she sat. "But you're twenty now, so only one more year. Sorry. It's that whole former "cop blood" running through me. It's a hard habit to break."

"I don't want you to break it." She smiled lovingly at me. "There's nothing wrong with being a law abiding citizen."

I couldn't stop staring at her. "I feel way underdressed," I piped up suddenly. "You look ready for a night out on the town and I'm still in my fire uniform. That dress looks fabulous on you, by the way."

"Hyland, it's not a dress. It's lingerie." She laughed, heartily, reaching across to take me by the hand. "Don't you know the difference by now?"

I shook my head. "Not really. Fashion is all over the place these days; and I never really pay attention to the lingerie you wear, except to take it off you."

Rolling her eyes, she lifted her fork and stabbed at her salad. "Well, that I believe. It's usually a waste to wear. As soon as I put it on, it's off again thirty seconds later."

Smiling, I shrugged. "What can I say? I like getting to the pretty package underneath."

"Whatever. By the way, thank you for the roses. I knew you would bring me some."