Chapter Fifty-Two: Away With Me

Start from the beginning

"But when you fucked Sebastian, you didn't care about losing me?"

Panic arises in me again; his expression turns angry.

"I...I was confused. I didn't mean it. It was a mistake and I'm sorry I did that to you."

"You didn't mean it?"

"No! I didn't mean it!"

"So, you don't love him?"

"No, I don't." Even though the circumstances call for it, lying about not loving Sebastian is still hard to do. "I swear, it was a mistake."

"You love me?"

I nod, building up the courage to get off the bed and walk towards him. My hands still tremble when I reach up and place them on his cold face. I hold tight and stare into his eyes.

"I love you, Alejandro. And I forgive you for everything."

"Promise?"

"I promise," I whisper. And while his muscles visibly relax, I stand on my tip-toes and plant a kiss on his lips—several. I keep kissing him until I'm sure he's convinced. And when I break away, he slips the gun into the waistband of his boxers. I step away from him and wait for whatever he wants to do next.

"You're going to get something for me," he tells me.

"Anything," I reply. I want to remain on his good side.

"You're going to get into Sebastian's office. There's a file hidden in the room—it says classified on the front, hidden in one of the encyclopedias. Bring it to me."

"Alright—"

"I'll be close by. Don't do anything stupid."

"I won't," I assure him. He nods to the door, where I exit out into the hallway. But there's a specific direction and route he wants me to take to Sebastian's office; it's almost as if he knows the blind spots throughout the house, where the cameras aren't able to catch.

When we make it to the office, Alejandro stops by the corner and gestures for me to go inside. Wordlessly, I leave his side and enter the office, where I'm supposed to look for a classified file in one of the encyclopedias. My body shivers relentlessly as I search the office for the file. Alejandro is watching; I can't sneak away. I have to find this file.

There are numerous books on the bookshelves, many of them coverless. I open each one, shake them out frantically without even taking the time to see which one is the "encyclopedia" I need to look for. The worst fear plagues me—I fear Sebastian may walk into the room, ask me what I'm doing, and my state may give it away, resulting in Alejandro hurting him. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Alejandro hurt him; I continue looking.

Finally, after ten minutes of searching, a file slips out of a book hidden in the back of the bookshelf. I freeze when I see it on the ground—classified it says on the front. 10 points for the best hiding place for a classified file I think to myself before kneeling to pick it up. I don't open it, but instead focus my energy on getting out of the office as quickly as possible. File under my arm, I silently walk out of the office. Alejandro is waiting for me around the corner in the shadows, watching me. But someone else is in the hall when I exit the office—Sebastian.

We both freeze when we see each other. Sebastian stands still, his eyes studying me and waiting for a reaction. I want to tell him everything and warn him; I want to tell him to get away from here. But I can't. I hide the file behind my back and continue to stare at him, fighting the urge to run into his arms and protect him; protect myself.

"Hey," he says to me. He has a sympathetic, almost guilty look in his eyes. He rolls the sleeves of his shirt up, rubbing his forearms nervously. I remain quiet, for I don't want my croaking or stuttering speech to give anything away.