Chapter 2: The Break Out and Break In

I tip toed out into the living room, trying to be as quiet as humanly possible. I was so on edge I felt like my breathing was going to wake my dad up. I reached a hand out to the doorknob on the entrance door, and slowly unlocked it. I'm gonna get caught. I know it. My heart is pounding, I am gonna be caught. I know it...I twisted the doorknob slowly, and opened the door slower. My whole body was quivering. I stepped out carefully. Okay...did it! I actually did it! I did a silent victory dance. Now to pray my dad won't wake up and check on me...
   I decided I was going to take the stairs instead of the elevator. It's 2 am, and even though this place is 100% haunted, people like my dad might get suspicious hearing the old rickety elevator.
   My socks weren't enough to warm my feet from the chilly concrete in the basement. Waiting by the vending machines was Larry. I smiled at him.
   "Hey Sal," he greeted with his goofy grin
   "Hey," I replied. He hurried me into his place, then into his room, which seemed more nerve-wracking it was. It was nice stepping into his room. Although the hamper full of unwashed clothes, sweat and marijuana gave off a stench, it was somewhat soothing. Probably because I've had so many happy memories here.
   "So...wanna, like, go back to bed?" Larry asked. I was tired but...I also wanted to hang out. But it was a school night too...Hm...
   "Do you?" I asked back. He shrugged.
   "I'm okay either way," he answered. I bounced the thought in my head for a minute.
   "Well...I guess like...maybe we can just lay down and talk," I compromised. He nodded.
   "That's cool," Larry smiled. He's...ugh. He's not...traditionally attractive but he's so handsome to me. I'm no prize under this prosthetic at all myself though. Frankly...If I confess to him and he loves me too...I'll be ridiculously surprised.