chapter twentyfour

Start from the beginning

"A virgin?" Adonis repeated in a whisper.

Artemis hushed a chuckle and then shrugged. "I'm not great at improv."

He nodded, "Stick to archery."

She saluted him once. Her gaze lingering on the prominent dimples on his cheeks, the gleam of his flawless bronze skin, specks of green threatening the brown in his eyes, the ripped musc-

"Artemis!"

She shook her head, shooting her head up to see the guard standing by a large set of doors. He looked annoyed.

"All that is holy, please save me." He mumbled under his breath before turning to the duo. "I've been calling your name for ages."

"Sorry, I was lost in my head."

"Quite alright," He nodded, swallowing. "Now, this," he pointed to the doors, "is Zeus' throne room. He's in here. Look professional and apt please. Give me a moment." And then he disappeared behind the door.

      "I can't believe this is happening." Adonis remarked, more to himself though he was looking straight to Artemis.

     Artemis portrayed cool and calm on the exterior but inside she was drowning in guilt and mercy. To steal Adonis' words, she can't believe this is actually happening. It felt like just yesterday she had caught a boy who only worried of superficial curriculums. Everything's changed since before Adonis. A part of her didn't even care about her position in the forest or as a huntress, she cared more about the god in front of her. About his well-being. After this, they'd never see each other again. It all just got real and suddenly the sky was darkening and clouds were scowling at Artemis, stars mocking.

"Adonis.."

"Mm?"

She worried her bottom lip for a moment, watching him watch her. Silence enveloping them like they were having a conversation without words. It was easier this way. No words. But it wasn't better.

"I- I'm sorry." She finally said in a small and unfamiliar octave.

He gave her a weird look, parting his lips to reply but before he had a chance, the doors swung open wide and hard.

"Please," The guard exited and issued the two to walk inside.

"Thanks." Adonis smiled at the guard before walking inside, so jolly that it made Artemis feel queasy. Swallowing the lump, she hesitantly followed Adonis to his destiny.

Inside the throne room looked bare and stark. Empty to life. Unlike the rest of the palace, this room was accompanied by no guards whatsoever, only a smiling, giddy Zeus who sat high and mighty on his mounted throne.

     He looked proud and victorious. The expression Artemis sported when she shot an elk.

     "Well, isn't this lovely!" He laughed joyously, waving his hands for them to walk closer. "I don't bite," he cocked a brow, "hard." Another laugh.

     Artemis nodded, forcing a smile as they both stepped forward until they were right before Zeus.

     He smiled, looking between Artemis and Adonis. His eyes going everywhere, head to toe. Examining every inch of the two. His bottom lip disappeared into his mouth, eyes squinting at Artemis. She squirmed in unease. Hoping the punishment the guard promised wouldn't be too significant.

     "I apologize for not arriving earlier..there was a lo-"

      "Ah, ah, ah." Zeus interrupted Artemis. She gulped as he stood to his full height and walked off of his mount and down the small steps until he stood inches from them. He circled them, still examining.

     Artemis could feel sweat and blood mixing inside of her, twisting her every glance, blink, twitch. Everything felt heightened coming from Zeus. She'd only met him once before and that was in company of other gods and goddesses. It was also when they created this agreement to send Adonis away.

     "Right. Everything seems to be in order then." Zeus finally spoke. His steps echoed as he walked around them to stand in their vision once more. "I suppose it's time to tell you why I was so committed to your request for Adonis' departure from Olympus."

      "O-oh I thought that uh that we were just sending Adonis to live with the humans.." Artemis stuttered, unaware that there was a 'but' to the deal.

     Zeus chuckled, pursing his lips. "You can't possibly believe I would just do something so juvenile out of pure good."

     "But you said-"

     "No, I don't think so." He shook his head, sighing. "It's easy though, Artemis. My reputation here is faltering, crumbling. Majority of Olympus is taking more of a liking to Hades than me. Hades, god of the underworld for sakes!" He cleared his throat, "With that in mind, I need to do things to expand my followers."

     "I don't understand." Artemis swallowed, her heart racing against her chest, begging to escape.

     "I'm hosting a dinner tomorrow night. Here at the palace. And I'm going to announce what I'm doing for you. Out of pure good," he laughed mockingly. "It'll be like I'm a hero of sorts. No one cares what happens to the god that they forgot the title of. But Artemis, the princess of wild hunt and forest..that, that they care about. We'll be heroes, yes?"

     Adonis' head bowed, in embarrassment. A peak in his direction told Artemis he felt shame. A red shade had tinted up his neck, to his flush cheeks. It made Artemis feel ashamed of herself too. For being okay with all of this, for even acting like she was okay with all of this. It felt like they were using Adonis as some sort of show pony. He wasn't, though. No one understands Adonis is much more than pleasures.

     "What d'ya say? Do you wanna continue to hide as just another goddess trying to be more than beauty? Or will you be what you were always destined to become?" Zeus asked with conviction, quirking his lips.

     Hunting. Hunting and her position is all that matter. Hunting and position. Mattered.

     "Yes. I'll do it."

     Hunting and position.

     And..Adonis.