Chapter 54

The week had sped by and before I knew it I was in a car heading off to the art show. My parents were driving me while Keith was going to the venue with Kevin, Zack and of course James. Both of us were nervous and excited because we had no idea what would happen during the event. After a two hour drive we finally reached the building and after getting a good luck from my parents I hugged them and ran inside. I went to the front table and checked and got my number which was 23.

"Rachel, there you are," Keith said panting. "Presentations start in 20 minutes."

"What?" I shrieked, looking around in a frenzy. "I thought they started in an hour!"

"So did I," he chuckled. "It's fine though because I think you are in the middle."

"Lucky me," I said. "Where are the guys?"

"Kevin is getting food with Zack, and James is looking at art."

"James likes art?"

"No not really." He ran a hand through his hair and looked around. "He thinks a lot of art is boring but sometimes he finds something he likes."

"That's good."

"Rachel, Keith there you two are!" Out art teacher exclaimed.

"Hi Ms. Laverty," I greeted.

"I want to introduce you two to an old friend of mine," she smiled. "These are two I was telling you about Angel."

"Oh these two?" A Chinese woman said. She looked young, around 25 to her early 30s. "I am Angelica."

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm Keith."

"And I'm Rachel."

"Angel and I have known each together since high school," Ms. Laverty said. "Back then the two of us were best friends and we were the two kids that would use lunch hour to work on art."

"Cassie over here had a thing for painting someone," Angelica teased, nudging Ms. Laverty in the ribs. "Anyways, I am one of the judges here tonight because I am an art director for Fitsimmons art college."

"No way," Keith muttered. "I would love to go there but it's so hard to get in."

"That's ranked pretty high on every list," I said.

"Well I am looking forward to seeing your work," she said. "And now I have to go meet other people. See you two soon." Angelica and Ms. Laverty walked away while Keith spun in circles.

"Do you see any of them?" He asked.

"No."

"Well that's expected you are so short," a voice said in my ear, wrapping his arms around me so I was in a backwards hug.

"Found one," I smiled looking up at Kevin.

"Found the others," Keith smiled. He kissed James a little bit and then wrapped his arm around him.

"I won't lie some of the art here is good," James said.

"The food is good," Zack said. "You know I am the only single one left. I am a fifth wheel."

"Find a girlfriend or boyfriend," I suggested.

"Entries 1-25 please go back stage to get all your work," an announcement said.

"What number are you?" Keith asked.

"23. You?"

"22. Ms. Laverty has all our work in the back so let's go."

Kevin kissed me quickly and I went to the back with Keith. It was a mess with people running around, last minute makeup, reviewing their speeches and finding their art.

"Alright honey what number are you?" A lady asked me.

"23." She led me to my work and I checked my folder to make sure all the work was there. Keith's was right next mine and he was brought there ten second later. People started going up and I was going over my speech. It was short, about three to five minutes per person.

"22 you are up," someone said.

"Good luck," I grinned.

"Thanks." He went on stage and I could hear his speech from behind the curtain.

"Each piece is a part of me," he said. "The three guys I have in this picture are my best friends, my brothers. They inspire me everyday and i used charcoal because they always remind me that the world isn't black and white. It has shades of grey as well. The girl that's laughing in this piece right here is someone with a colorful personality that is adorable and is a genius. She brings color into everyone's life." I tuned out of his speech and kept going over my own. I heard applause and then saw Keith come off the stage.

"Good luck," he whispered to me. I nodded and was led onto the stage. Once I was standing in the stage with all my pieces set up I saw all the eyes watching me. I shook off my nerves and closed my eyes.

"Hello everyone, I'm Rachel. Each piece I have with me here today has one purpose and that is to convey a message. My first one here is with this rose that as I hope you can see us wiling while other flowers are pushing it down and they are thriving," I paused for a second to catch my breath. "It's about people that are pushing other down just so they can win or to be better even though they are all good. My next piece is-"

At that moment a fire alarm went off. I left the stage and followed the stream of people out trying to see either Kevin, Keith, Zack, James or my parents.

"Hey," someone said tapping my shoulder. I looked up and saw Kevin's older brother. "It was a good speech until you got cut off."

"Thanks uh," I said. "Don't tell me. Brandon?"

"You got it," he chuckled. "Let's find my brother shall we?"

"Yeah sure," I replied. Once we were out of the building I was looking around for Kevin.

Where r u? -Kevin

Outside with your brother -Rachel

My brother??? Brandon???? -Kevin

Yeah? Why? -Rachel

HE SAID HE WAS GOING BACK TO COLLEGE HE SHOULD BE AT COLLEGE RIGHT NOW -Kevin

I think he lied -Rachel

No shit really??? I'm coming to you where r u -Kevin

About 50 feet from the American Flagg and I am behind it -Rachel

Don't move I am coming -Kevin

AUTHORS NOTE

SORRY FOR BEING PAINFULLY SLOW
what do you think of this chapter?
Sorry again. I am so sorry. I didn't mean for it to get delayed so much.
-anubluey