Chapter Seven: I'm the Only One Allowed To Be A Sad Sap In This Relationship

Start from the beginning

"It's a bit different to what I expected."She starts and I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to keep my knee from bouncing rapidly. She hates it, she absolutely hates it. "But, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, you've done a good job Tessa."

I gape at her. I had? "I have?"

She chuckles, well as much as the iron lady can chuckle. "Don't be that surprised, we both know you're a good writer. Didn't you major in English at college?"

I nod and she gives me a look, like she's probing into my mind trying to access all my secrets.

"I loved your article, I think anyone who reads it will want to support Samantha and it's just a great piece on women entrepreneurs. It's gripping, emotional and with just the right amount of call for action in there but..."

I'm tempted to shut my eyes. After all the glowing praise, a 'but' could never be good. It's a good article but it's not what she's looking for. I knew that when I sent it in but I think a part of me just didn't want to waste words on formula or pigmentation when there had been such a larger human interest piece out there. I guess I asked for this but I'm proud of my article and I really do think I did Samantha and Lissy's relationship justice with it.

"...it's not exactly the right fit for this magazine." I wince and try not to show my disappointment on my face. I'd worked pretty hard on this article and to have it discarded would be such a shame. Plus I wanted to tell everyone about Samantha's amazing journey and I can't believe that I failed her.

"I'm sorry." I tell my boss, "I tried my best but I guess the piece just took a direction of its own. I tried making it about the products but Sam's such an incredible woman and I felt like there was so much more to her story than just what kinds of lipstick shades she thinks best suit an olive complexion."

I'm frustrated, obviously and not thinking straight because usually I'd never think about belittling makeup like this in front of my boss even though I do it on a regular basis with my friends. I do genuinely like working here and have developed my own little makeup addiction since I started working but I think I'm still that girl who graduated from college hoping to find and tell inspiring and uplifting stories of real people and get them out into the world.

"That didn't come out right. I meant that yes of course, her products are brilliant and would such a good sell considering the natural makeup hype but there's just so much more to her you know? She had to drop out of college when she got pregnant her sophomore year and her boyfriend abandoned he when she'd just had her daughter. Lissy has a skin condition that makes it extremely difficult to use any kind of creams or lotions on it and she's been working to find products that work for her for so long. It's amazing just how much research she's done and what she's able to make at home and..."

I stop rambling once I realise that Amy finds all of this amusing. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment and I mentally kick myself for letting my emotions get the best of me. I might find this story fascinating but here in this magazine, it's something you could easily discard in favour of an It Girl's chosen lipstick of the moment and two guesses what people would prefer to read. Moments like these are when I feel the most out of place because when a magazine has the kind of reach and audience that Venus does, shouldn't they be rallying for a good cause? I know the magazine doesn't quite delve into activism or politics that much but we could really highlight how hard it can be for female entrepreneurs to secure the finances needed to start their small businesses or how less resources there are that allow single mothers to succeed especially when their child has a medical condition or special needs. I'd written about that as well and included tons of data and analysis but of course that's not what I'd been expected to do.