Chapter Seven - Jonathan's POV

Start from the beginning

Extending my arm for her to take, I escorted her to the centre of the ballroom, where the other couples stood waiting for the next dance to begin. Fortunately, I did not have to wait too long before the music started again. As we danced, I noticed that almost all the eyes in the room were on me. They were most likely shocked to see that I was actually dancing for once. I only hoped that this would eliminate the complaints made by my family as well. "I am rather surprised that you accepted my invitation," I commented.

"I did so because I know your reasoning behind offering it," she claimed.

"Do you really?" I wondered, cocking a brow at her "Please, do enlighten me."

"I am not one of those silly, empty-headed girls who dreams of dancing with you, Mr. Gilmore. The only reason you asked me to dance is because you wish to question me.," she declared.

"And what is it that I wish to question you about?" I tested her.

"Without a doubt, you wish to question my motives regarding a certain event that occurred last week. One that involved your closest friend," she replied quietly. "Although, I am surprised that he is not here questioning me himself."

"He has been feeling poorly since the event I am afraid," I informed her. "Not that you would care."

"Ask me what you want so that we may go back to our separate parts of the world."

"Was it your intention to humiliate him as a cruel joke?" I asked.

"It was never my intention to come off as cruel, or to seek revenge for that matter. If it is the way he treated me as a child that convinces you otherwise, you may rest assured that I do not hold that against him any longer. I forgave him for that quite some time ago."

That was a relief to know, but I was still curious. "If revenge was not the case, then what were your motives?"

"It is my turn to ask you a question now, Mr. Gilmore," she interrupted.

I was taken back by her forwardness. Not many people, let alone women, had addressed me in such a way, considering my family's noble ranking and wealth. Why on earth would she want to question me? Before this moment, we had hardly ever associated with one another. She knew next to nothing about me. Yet, she was still able to predict why I had asked her to dance. I had to admit that it was a bit intriguing.

"What do you want to know?"

"I want to know your own motives behind this. From what I have heard, you had your friend convinced that I was a selfish and cruel person."

"Where did you hear that?" I asked.

"I will admit to eavesdropping on what was said between you and your friend shortly after I fled the room," she admitted. "If you despised me with such a passion, would you not attempt to disgrace me for my offence?"