My Life

Marinette's POV

I listened to the clash of the dishes as I sweeped our dirty, rusted floor. I heard my mom call for my older sister, Tikki, to help her out. Suddenly, I heard a the clink of a coin. I stared down at the pile of dirt and saw something silvery. I smiled with excitement as I picked it up.

"Maman!" I called. "I found us a fifty-cent!" Maman rushed over and held the piece of silver in her hands. "Good lord, child. Such a valuable thing should not be in dirt!"

I frowned at her scoldings, and continued sweeping. Tikki came to me and whispered into my ear, "Good job. Thanks to you, we shall eat dinner tonight." I couldn't help but smile at her words. She was such a wonderful sister.

I continued sweeping, staring at the ground, thoughts drifting off.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Tikki asked.

"No one," I replied. "I mean, nothing."

"You aren't thinking about the boy, Nathaniel, next door, are you?" Tikki asked skeptically. "You know Maman doesn't approve-"

"I know, Tikki, I know."I said, a bit too harshly. If there was one thing my sister didn't understand, it was love. My whole family didn't understand it. Maman always wanted me to marry someone to promote me to a higher caste, which I understand. It was for my own being. "Excuse me." I said,setting the broom aside as a sudden sadness filled my heart. "I will go out for some time."

"Where?" Tikki called. I didn't answer. She didn't follow me, which was the right thing to do.

I walked out our front door and around the village borders. I ran into the forest, making my way to a specific tree. I smiled as I found it. I looked up, and there it was. The old, abandoned, tree house.

I climbed up into it, looking around for a certain someone. And there he was. Nathaniel's fiery red hair was unmistakable. 

"Hey," I said, smiling casually. Nathaniel rose from the floor, and took my face in his hands, and kissed me. I lavished in it and giggled. "What was that for?" I smiled. Nathaniel and I had been dating for two years in secret, and I honestly hoped it could stay that way. I enjoyed our time alone, all the secrets, all the suspense.

"Just missed you." He shrugged it off. Nathaniel had just washed my sadness away. All evening, we laughed and talked, teased each other, and kissed. I wish it would stay like this.

I soon remembered the time. My family would be wondering where I was. "I'm sorry, Nath. I need to go."

He smiled and kissed me one last time. "Then go."

I rushed to my cottage, and probably took too big of a grand entrance. "I'm back!" I called. Tikki, Maman, and Papa looked at me like I was mad. The look soon washed away.

"Come, sit, dear." Maman said. "It's time we talk."

Uh-oh.  Maman was being way too sweet for her, and when she says we need to talk, it is never a good thing. 

"Yes?" I said, advancing slowly to the chair. "What's going on?"

Maman took my hands. "Your brother Marc. He's...been distant... you know?"

Hatred immediately took control of my heart. Marc had been so loyal and kind to all of us, and Maman's natural favorite. Until he left us, all for a stupid caste. He used his talent in art to buy himself into an upper class, and now he owns so much land while the rest of us are in a junkyard. When Papa needed his help the most, he disowned us! HE DISOWNED US!! How dare he!

"Marc is nothing but a fool and will be nothing more. It's time you except that, Maman."

"That's not what this conversation is about, dear. Just an example. You see, look at you. You're so beautiful, so talented. And here you are stuck in this chicken coop. That's not right at all." Maman unfolded a sheet of paper, and handed it to me. "It's best you read on your own."

"The law... royal family...caste... ten girls... choice.. elimination.... without further ado, YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR THE SELECTION???!!!!" I yelled. Several thoughts flooded my mind, but mostly for Nathaniel. There was no way I was doing this. NO WAY. Plus, the royal family is so stuck-up, I don't even want to SEE the prince. Forget about marrying His Royal Majesticness Prince Adrien Calix Schreave Agreste.