Chapter 1

It is the last free day of my summer vacation. I start school tomorrow, but I don't feel like spending any time indoors. I already made plans to go shopping with Kaede later today, but I feel so bored right now.

I grab my phone off of the table in my room and plop back down on my bed, hoping to see a message from anyone. There wasn't.

Hmmm... What to do, what to do? I unlock my phone and start scrolling through my contacts. I want to message someone just to pass the time, but who could be available at this very moment?

Kaede Akamatsu. Well, I'm definitely going to be seeing her later today, so there's really no need for me to message her right now.

Kaito Momota. I bet he's probably with Maki right now. He did say that he was going to take her out to a special place today, which I could only assume that he plans to take her out on a date. If they were on a date right now, it would be rude for me to interrupt them just to suit my selfish needs.

Kokichi Ouma. We were just playing video games at his place yesterday and he pretty much said that that is what he is planning to do all day today. Like I said, I don't really feel like spending my last day of summer vacation being indoors all day.

Maki Harukawa. She is probably with Kaito right now. I'm happy they're both going out after two and a half years of Kaito just flirting with her constantly and Kaede and I basically teasing her about it. I'm happy if she's happy, but if Kaito does anything to break her heart, I will personally break him, even if Kaito and I are good friends. But then again, Maki can handle things for herself as well.

I sigh. Well, that kind of sucks. My regular circle of friends seems to be out of the question for now. But, there's still one person who I still talk to who is never too busy and always fun to hang out with. I just wish that he could also hang out with my other friends as well, but he's not one to hang out with a lot of people around at one place, and when I mean a lot, I meant me and one other person according to him.

Rantaro Amami. Rantaro and I have been best friends ever since we were just toddlers riding our tricycles back and forth in our driveways. We live on the same street and are just a couple of houses away from each other. Rantaro has always been my person, the one I would always want to express my feelings out loud to, the one who knows how to comfort me, the one who understands everything about me. I think he seems to know me better than I know me.

I decide to send him a text. Hey, Rantaro! What are you up to?

He immediately responds, Nothing much. You?

Nope. Just being bored out of my mind.

I start to type the words, Could I come o, when he responds with, Wanna come over?

I delete what I typed and reply back. You read my mind :) I'll be over in a few minutes.

I get up, put my phone into my pocket, walk out to the living room, and grab my keys off of the table. Then, I put on my shoes and lock the door, running over to Rantaro's house.

Rantaro sees me coming through the window and opens his door. He smiles and waves while I pant heavily in front of him. He leads me into the house and sets me down on the couch in his living room. He gets a water bottle from his fridge. He walks back and hands it over to me to which I thankfully receive and gulp the cool water down my throat.

After I successfully quenched my thirst, I look at him with a cheeky smile on my face. "You always know how to take care of me," I cheerily say.