Shadows From Above

Start from the beginning

Vincent put his arm around Catherine and pulled her close. "Very well, let us go see if they need any help. Mouse, take Arthur and put him in your room."

Mouse frowned. "Arthur-not-welcome- at party?"

Vincent smiled gently and laid his free hand on the young man's shoulder. "No, Mouse. Arthur's is always welcome. But I do not want him setting his fur on fire with a candle."

Mouse nodded quickly, his love for his pet very evident in the way his eyes widened in horror at the idea. "Vincent-right. Mouse make-Arthur-stay-in-room."

Vincent patted his shoulder. "Good lad. Catherine, why don't you take Miss Scarlett to the women's chambers and help her get ready."

Scarlett shuddered but no one could see it in the blue glow of the lake. But Vincent felt the shaking of emotions and pulled her close for a hug. "Go with Catherine, my dear. We have a party to get started."

Catherine and Scarlett walked in silence, Scarlett a little behind. The last time she had been to those chambers, she was recovering from her near death experience Above. And now she felt as if she was replaying it all over again. The scars, the cool water washing away the feeling of unworthiness. She shuddered again. She didn't want to go there. But a small piece of her was beginning to notice Mouse differently. He was always being such a gentleman and she found herself blushing at the idea of dressing up for the party.

They passed the library where Mouse had waited for her, and a little ache in her heart reminded her of how she wished he was there too.

"I have a lovely emerald green dress I brought for you Scarlett. You are going to look just stunning for the party," Catherine spoke gently, trying not to startle Scarlett, because she looked as if her mind was somewhere far away.

Slowly, Scarlett became aware of the room again, and the gentle splashing of the water running out of the natural spring.

She smiled stiffly at Catherine and nodded. "I do appreciate your help, I really do. I just-" She hesitated, then shook her head.

Catherine laid a hand on her shoulder. "We are all here if you need to talk."

Scarlett nodded. "I know." She laid her hand over Catherine's and squeezed it. "I know."

Mouse paced outside of Vincent's chamber, startling when the giant man came out, dressed in his best. Mouse clasped his hands together. "Vincent - can- Mouse - ask a- question - please?"

Vincent nodded once. "Go ahead, Mouse."

Mouse hopped from one foot to the other, excited. "Mouse- like- to- prop- propo- marry -Scarlett."

Vincent smiled at the excited young man, then motioned for him to enter the chamber. Mouse hesitated, then entered, sitting down on a chair. He looked slightly confused at the lack of excitement.

Vincent sighed and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Mouse, I am going to talk to you as man to man. You are quite a man now. Mouse, Scarlett - is broken. She's had nothing but trouble in this life. Her family tried to kill her, Paracelsus has tried to kill her, and I feel in her heart that she thinks she is broken beyond repair."

At this comment, protective anger appeared on the young man's face and Mouse tried to retort, but Vincent held up a paw. "Mouse, what is it that you love about her?"

Mouse looked away, and his face relaxed. "Calm-strong-beautiful-amazing-mature-"

He looked at Vincent almost pleadingly. "Mouse love Scarlett."

Vincent sighed and walked calmly away then turned and walked back. "Mouse, it will be a major change for both of you. One, you will have to stay Below more. Going Above will put you at risk, your family at risk, and" he hesitated. "And all of your community at risk."