01

"Hey Jayden?" Lucy called to me from the kitchen. Ever since that night our parents and other sister Daisy were murdered, we've been living all across California.

For now, we are living in Sacramento. For now. "Yeah?" I called back to her. "Have you seen Mary anywhere?" God dammit. That freaking cat, always getting lost.

"Nah, I haven't seen her all morning."

Well that was a lie. I saw her climb out the kitchen window and into the tree, probably looking for a dead thing to bring to us.

Lucy thought for a minute. "Go check the tree, I'm 99.9% sure that's where she is"

I swear Lucy can read my mind sometimes. Daisy used to do that too. Lucy and Daisy were identical twins, which are rare for lycanthropes. If it weren't for the three long scars running along her face, I would mistake her for Daisy everyday. Daisy and I were really close, while Lucy was the "prize child". She was their firstborn, while Daisy was born five minutes after her. I'm seven years younger than the two. I'm seventeen while Lucy is twenty-four.

Putting on my sweatshirt, I opened the door to look for the cat. As I walked outside, the cool air rushed to my face, and a foul sent followed. The foul sent of an omega.

"Mary, c'mere you old cat," I said in a calm voice, trying not to call attention to myself. When I walked up to the tree, I spotted her on the branch with only god knows what in her paws. Lucy, I love you, but I'm not washing the cat this time. I shivered, remembering what happened last time.

I let out a low growl and flashed my golden eyes at the cat, only flinching and making my eyes go back to their normal light blue when I heard an unfamiliar voice.

"You need help there, kid?" The scent was strong now. I looked behind me to find an omega standing near the edge of the yard, with his hand in his pockets.

I replied slowly. "No, I don't need any help."

And if as that was her cue, Mary kept down from the tree and ran back inside the house. I turned completely around to face the man. Before I could say anything, he sniffed the air, and growled, very loudly, in fact.

What? Are you trying to give away what you are to the whole fucking neighborhood? How am I going to explain that my cat made that noise? (My neighbors hate dogs, and told us they don't want us having one, for it will "disturb the quiet". It's barley quiet here with you two frickle fracking every night)

"Watch your back, kid. I know what you are." His throaty voice pulled me out of my thoughts. He blared his blue eyes at me as he turned the corner, then ran.

A/n: hey hey hey! I've been at a slight writers block (no I haven't lol) and I, well, there's no point in lying. I almost forgot that this book existed tbh 😂

MORE TO COME SOON!!

- Ashley 🍉